are hands on trade skills and common decency disappearing?

Bretto77

That's really annoying (and crap) @Bretto77. I had a trye mob in Yeronga quite a few years ago put my spare wheel back on and break the locknut. Didn't tell me, wasn't til I got home I noticed half of it missing. Phoned them up and he said something like it sometimes happens when using a rattle gun to tighten them. Didn't seem to comprehend the fact that they broke it, they should sort it out ..... unfortunately at that stage of my life I didn't really speak up (I've changed now .... ๐Ÿ™‚) so copped it.

Have just taken possession of a novated lease Prado and am busily getting quite a few accessories added in a hurry before our trip to Cape York (leave 15 June). A bash plate company in Sumner Park managed to let/organise a courier to the deliver the bash plates to the car dealer (a week and a half after I took possession of the car ...) despite the fact I've booked in to have them installed in a week or so's time. 'Oh yeah the courier was pretty keen to just get them out of here .......'.ย  Umm dipsh!t, the courier only turned up because you asked him to come and collect them, perhaps make notes next to orders so you know who is coming to get them installed (and therefore they don't need to be delivered anywhere .........).

Grrrr!!!!!!!

Then there's the lease company and my fuel cards but I'll leave it at that ........ย ๐Ÿคฌ.

There is an opposite side to that coin.ย 

One of the mechanics at work was doing up a cheap 4X4 for our off road adventures. He had got it mechanically back to top condition, put in some LSD's and painted it, he had just finished putting on a bull bar and winch and it was time for new tires.ย 

He dropped it off on the way to to work and picked it up that arvo.ย 

He gave it bit of the old buhh and shine and then drove to work the next morning in the rain. When he got to the workshop he was furious, they had messed up his wheel alignment so bad he could barely keep it on the road, he called them up and abused the crap out of them.ย 

We were having a smoke and looking it over at smoko, and we had to admit it looked bloody good, one bloke said at least they got the tires looking damn shiny, he said I did that when I got home.ย 

I had a closer look and something hit me, so I asked him "the tread looks bloody shiny too, you didn't put tire sine on it too did you?"ย 

He answered yes and we pissed ourselves laughing, even made him call the tire place up and apologise, and explain that the problem was he was a ham fisted numpty, not them. ๐Ÿคฃ

I have lost count of the number of times I have redone things done by "experts".

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

Car dealers services are awful for overcharging.....I was asked if I want my wipers changed for $90 at the service done two weeks ago. This dealer has done full service on this vehicle since new and a receive a full inspection report with each service. I said there is a rattle in the front end when on gravel and idling forward....they found the same to be lower control arm bushings and has been damaged for a long time....so why was this not picked up in all the previous inspections? The car has 45k on the clock. Anyway they fessed up missing it on previous inspections and fixed it under warranty. They also said to fix it under warranty would have to happen within the next month when warranty runs out....at least they offered that I suppose.

Another dealer did a service on another ute I own....ran like **** as i left....went around the block and drove back in the driveway....they did not A fit a new air cleaner filter or B even put the Air cleaner filter lid back on....and yet close the bonnet over a big hole and signed off on the work.

Same dealer advised against fitting an oil catch can to the engine as it will surely damage the EGR system and inevitably the turbo... Yet fitting one does not void their warranty according to Mitsubishi.... How do you read that?

Telwater goes to the expense of fitting marine grade switches to their boats and then use std copper wire and cheap connectors and none of it is enclosed away from salt air....

4 minutes ago, mangajack said:

Same dealer advised against fitting an oil catch can to the engine as it will surely damage the EGR system and inevitably the turbo... Yet fitting one does not void their warranty according to Mitsubishi.... How do you read that?

I was going to fit a catch can to my new car. I was told it would void warranty. Apparently, if the filter material isn't changed every 10K they can cause damage. That and applying pressures in the system beyond safe. My mechanic also said not to fit a catch can until out of warranty as he has seen warranty claims denied. My car is a Mazda BT50 (Isuzu DMax in drag).

21 hours ago, ellicat said:

Cheers Damo. I've decided to leave it for now. I'm going to suck it and see with the latest DPF tech. Mine is doing a 'burn' every several hundred km's, so may not need it.

So the real question is why is the engine producing so much soot to need a regen every few hundred km????ย 

If it is regenerating that often there is something seriously amiss.

A while ago my 3l Jeep diesel started to throw up a heap of error codes so after several trips to the dealer, they worked out that the EGR flap motor had seized due to all the oily gasses which gummed up the circulation flaps, they seized up and burnt out the motor as they were unable to move. End result it would have cost me $5700 to have the manifolds replaced except for the fact that I had a reasonable extended warranty which covered the cost.

Here is a pic of the intake tube which holds the MAP sensor, which is completely covered in crud which should give you an idea of the state of the intake manifolds on the engine.20210701_121819.thumb.jpg.b1652f130cbc4601da3da425f0ba3f33.jpg After I had the repair done, I fitted an oil catch can (PROVENT 200 IV) which I empty about every 3000Km and drain about 50-60ml of oil which otherwise would be redirected though the manifold to be burnt or deposited on the manifold intakes. Eventually the manifold fillsย  up, which prevents the engine breathing properly and then accelerates the problem.

20210701_121823.jpg

Even the best condition engine ever made has substantial blow by, it is essential that no moving parts touch metal to metal, there is always a film between the metals even the piston rings to the cylinder walls. The blow by atomises the oil that is released from the crank caseย  into the EGR and similar systems of today.....a very flawed way of reducing emissions in the end of the argument.

Diesels deliver more blow by than petrol engines because of both the higher compression ratio and the pressure supplied from the turbo chargers.

At 200ml or so for 12,000km travelled is minimal, the tolerance on the dipstick is over 500ml for nearly every engine.

5 hours ago, Angry51 said:

Ed, if you drain 50/60ml oil every 3000klm how often are your oil changes and doย  you need to top up engine oil between services'.

I do a service every 6-8k purely because the car services were required every 6 months or 10k km which ever came first as a condition under my extended warranty. So basically I have never had to top up due to the low milage I travel. I have done about 110k km over 6.5 years.

The oil that is collected by the catch canย  would have been pushed through the engine and lost anyway, so if I do it 2 or 3ย  times between services it doesn't drop the oil level to any significant degree.

High performance (turbo) diesels actually add to the oil volume as unburnt diesel fuel is forced past the rings. So I have never been low in oil hence the reason for the oil changes as the diesel dilutes the oil in the motor.