tying leader to split rings and changing hard bodies.

Peter K

Hi Everyone.

Looking for some advice, new to fishing hardbodies. Just bought some Daiwa Spike 44's, Double Clutch 48's and Slippery Dog 65's. 

After tying fluro leader to the split rings attached to the lure, could I using a split ring plier and open it slightly while the knot is still tied to the ring, then slip a different colour way or lure onto that split ring. That would mean no retying when changing lures, just pop the ring open and attach? Would it still be ok with the knot tied to the split ring? Can be useful if needing to change from shallow to deep divers. 

Thanks for your assistance.

Peter K

I've heard/read countless stories of snap swivels opening and the lure coming off, not sure if its true and how common it occurs, I don't want that risk when working $20+ lures. 

I could just take all the split rings of my hardbody bibs and have 1 ring tied on and just attach it each time, the main query I have here is, once a knot has been tightened on the ring, would using the pliers and spreading the ring open potentially loosen/stretch/weaken the knot? I'm using double uni. 

Thanks, Peter

I think your concern is warranted, re affecting the knot.

There are different types of swivels that can be used other than the regular snap swivels.  Hawaiian snap swivels, for example - https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/shogun-hawaiian-snap

These will not unclip.

Personally, I find it much quicker to just tie a new loop knot each time. Playing around with split rings is a pain for me.

43 minutes ago, Peter K said:

Hi Everyone.

Looking for some advice, new to fishing hardbodies. Just bought some Daiwa Spike 44's, Double Clutch 48's and Slippery Dog 65's. 

After tying fluro leader to the split rings attached to the lure, could I using a split ring plier and open it slightly while the knot is still tied to the ring, then slip a different colour way or lure onto that split ring. That would mean no retying when changing lures, just pop the ring open and attach? Would it still be ok with the knot tied to the split ring? Can be useful if needing to change from shallow to deep divers. 

Thanks for your assistance.

Peter K

Hi Peter K

Mate you must be attaching the split rings to the lures yourself? Not a trick question, as I haven't bought any lures for years, never used to have split rings on them when I purchased them, anyway back to your issue, assuming I am correct that you are attaching the split rings yourself, if you use a non slip loop knot tied to the split ring you have attached to the lure, you should not affect this type of knot when taking one split ring off one lure and attaching it to another, because of the actual knot, not being tied to the lure eye, 100% agree with @ellicat that you will most likely compromise the knot you are currently using doing what you want to do.

Look up non slip loop knot on  youtube to learn how to tie it, not hard to do, the knot is used by most serious lure fisherman as the knot allows the lure to achieve its full movement potential. Pick one of the youtube videos that only go for a minute or so, lots of self promotionalists on youtube that take 10 minutes to explain something that takes 30 seconds to do.

I will clarify the advice i have given you by saying that using both a split ring and a non slip loop knot is overkill, just tying a non slip loop knot is easier than tying a double uni knot in my opinion.

Fatboy

Thanks @fatboy

I am using some Daiwa Spike 44's, Double Clutch 48's and Slippery Dog 65's, they all come with a split ring on the bibs. I have only used double uni knot my whole fishing experience, for hooks, lures, swivels, braid to leader and now split rings. 

I looked at the non slip loop knot, I'll have to give it a go. I can understand why the knot would be compromised if you open the split ring, because the ring and the line are in contact.

Would doing the non slip loop knot really need a split ring or could you tie directly to the lure?

Just now, Peter K said:

Thanks @fatboy

I am using some Daiwa Spike 44's, Double Clutch 48's and Slippery Dog 65's, they all come with a split ring on the bibs. I have only used double uni knot my whole fishing experience, for hooks, lures, swivels, braid to leader and now split rings. 

I looked at the non slip loop knot, I'll have to give it a go. I can understand why the knot would be compromised if you open the split ring, because the ring and the line are in contact.

Would doing the non slip loop knot really need a split ring or could you tie directly to the lure?

Hi @PeterK 

The Knot was designed to be tied directly to the eye of the lure to improve lure movement, so yep you can do that. I don't think tying it to the split ring would cause any issues with the lures action just save a bit of dicking around on your part I reckon, wouldn't hurt for you to try both ways, fishing is meant to be relaxing so no need to rush it things

An additional question, when using my Daiwa Spike 44, i have been tying double uni onto the split ring connected to the lure. 

I noticed that when retrieving it always swimming to the right by about 1.5 meters every time, even if I cast with and against the current in any direction really. Could this be the knot causing it to swing off to the right and side? what causes this? How can I prevent it, I want it to swim straight inline with my rod tip.

Thanks, Peter

On 11/01/2024 at 2:29 PM, ellicat said:

Personally, I find it much quicker to just tie a new loop knot each time. Playing around with split rings is a pain for me.

I'm with @ellicat, I can cut and tie a new loop knot much quicker than playing around with spit rings / pliers / rocky boat. Don't get me wrong I use split rings with certain lures / assist hooks but I'm not opening them up to save re-tying a knot for sure.

If anything....knots are usually the weak point in any terminal tackle so re-tying new knots is a positive thing.

I remove all split rings from towing points that I can. 

I believe that the cut on the wire in a split ring is a potential nick in your leader about to happen...especially if the ring is slightly stressed apart.

I tie loop knots to the lures these days.....have not used a snap for over 25 years....used them all the time before that.

To be honest, losing a lure to a bad connection is not worth worrying over.....we as fishermen are hoarders of all things tackle related.....I know that I have a few thousdanr hard body lures and probably 3 times that in soft plastics now....I don't think I will miss a few going to the gods.

We always used to use snaps in the old days with barra (back when u used wire as well) because the old style lure retrievers need something like a swivel to lock over when they snag.

Now days only do a loop knot.  Its quick and like the others can change a lure quicker than dicking around with a snap where the trebles are swinging around.

I do have snaps for the odd occassion casting stickbaits and poppers offshore so you can quickly change the lure.  https://oceanslegacy.com/product/hdultra-access-swivel/

I use a loop knot to a split ring when throwing stick baits, and a uni knot to the solid ring of the hook on jigs, with the split ring off the other side to change jigs easily.

We do a lot of lure changes when casting stick baits, and change jigs a fair bit as well. Using a split ring allows me to change as often as I like without cutting down the leader and having to tie a leader on while out. 

On 11/01/2024 at 3:46 PM, Peter K said:

An additional question, when using my Daiwa Spike 44, i have been tying double uni onto the split ring connected to the lure. 

I noticed that when retrieving it always swimming to the right by about 1.5 meters every time, even if I cast with and against the current in any direction really. Could this be the knot causing it to swing off to the right and side? what causes this? How can I prevent it, I want it to swim straight inline with my rod tip.

Thanks, Peter

Grab a pair of pointy nose pliers, and keep them on you when lure fishing.

You need to slightly, emphasis on slightly, bend the little metal ring to the left or right on the nose of the lure. This is the ring that you would attach a split ring to.  

Start with a slight adjustment to the left and swim the lure. 

If it's worse, go back the other way. If it's getting better, make another adjustment the same way. 

You will eventually have it swimming dead straight, however it may take several adjustments to achieve. 

It's not uncommon to have to tune a lure to swim correctly. 

Thanks all some great Info, ive now tried a few of these methods but I feel the non slip loop knot just isn't as strong as the uni so Im willing for the uni to rub along the sharp spot of the split ring, I will have to try and find a good clip to use next time I'm at the tackle store. Thanks for your advice all, and the lure tuning worked well. 

Thanks,

Peter