Nudgee Canal & Creek 07-09-06

Angus

Well Ash and i did try Pinkenba and the poo shoot today. However the wind made it impossible.

Thus we decided to head to Nudgee and hoped to find a slightly more protected section.

We hit the canal first and after about 10 mins i manged to land a little 20 odd cm flatty on a 3'' Pumkinseed powerbait. However the wind picked up here as well so we retreated to the creek.

Both Ash and i tried a fair few plastics and as usual manged to lose a lot of tails to toadies. I stuck with the powerbaits as there is no point using gulps unless your a very rich man.

We walked up the creek a bit to where Timbo got his flatty last time. First cast BANG my line was off. I have never had such a large/powerful fish on my SP outfit before (including teh 2kg plus catties from somerset). After about 5secs ping, the line went slack it had bittem me off :angry:

Im not so cut about losing it as to not seeing it. If it was a flatty it was huuuuge. However the plastic was taken on the surface and ran several meters in a vert short time straight into a fallen tree. With this information i am hoping maybe a decent estuary cod or maybe a smallish yet powerful jack??? Whatever it was it was decent. I dont usually report on \"the one that got away\" however this thing had my rod bent right over.

Sad sad sad.

Oh well Ash was stoked i didnt have two fish in the bag to nil!!! :P Just jokes mate.

All in all a lousy day with the wind. But it was still nice being out there.

Angus

You went to nudgee and didn't tell me! B$&#($! haha Nice report gus. I'm not sure what your mystery fish is either but if it bit you of quicksmart its possible to be an alrite tailor. Only problem is I havn't heard them to be in snags but I suppose I got all mine from snags. Pretty alrite day.

Tim

Wow. That would have been a rush. I would say a Ray but from the surface you would have seen it. My quess would be early season Jack or late Bream. Was the line bitten or broken on the snag?

Problem when that happens it's very hard to get another bite. You hit the top of the food chain straight off.

Yeah the wind did try its best to blow the skin off thats for sure.

Noy a bad looking place there. Whilst i didnt land any (thanks for the reminding there Angus;) ), i did get a few hits in the Creek itself.

I want to go back and drift the canal in my boat though. Reckon there'd be some awesome flatties!

BTW, heres the pic of Angus and his flattie!

PS=Just keep checking your phone for photos come sunday Morning Angus!:laugh: [img size=359]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Angus_and_flattie.JPG

Post edited by: Ash, at: 2006/09/07 23:18

post-81-144598400864_thumb.jpg

Archived