Time for a AFO day at Barron Pocket - 3/2/08?

Feral

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well icompletely forgot about this trip and had planned to go fishing on sunday but now i am interested in attending with my old man and possibly my mate.

BUT, i have absolutly no experience whatsoever in fresh water exept for barra so could someone help me with what i would need.

I HAVE: 1-2kg 7 foot rod with 1000 size reel and 6lb braid

4-5ish kg baitcaster about 5'9'' and a shimano coriolis 200 spooled with 10lb braid.

as for lures i wouldnt have a clue.

i will have my outback with me but it would be nice if i could paddle along with a fellow yacker for the day so i could learn a bit.

so any tips?? and what time are we planning on getting there

Mate those two set ups will be fine. As to lures, anything that cathes bream will catch bass, but you also might want anything deeper diving...

Check the directions given earlier in the thread so you make it to the right ramp.

If you employ similar technique as bream fishing, but trade the structure for weed beds you should do fine. Baroon is an awesome dam fr beginners anyway as the bass are very partial to a whole aray of lures.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Click the link in my footer to see who else is going and register yourself.

Cheers.

Angus

yeah i just wanted to know when i should get there for best fishing so early it is.

hopefully im going to a tackle shop on saturday for my new reel so i might buy a few bass lures aswell.

is there any good landbased spots as my dad will want to fish but we only have one yak which i will be using and possibly have a friend sitting in the back well.

fishyman wrote:

yeah i just wanted to know when i should get there for best fishing so early it is.

hopefully im going to a tackle shop on saturday for my new reel so i might buy a few bass lures aswell.

is there any good landbased spots as my dad will want to fish but we only have one yak which i will be using and possibly have a friend sitting in the back well.

You can fish land based. And where we are launching (the montville ramp) is prob your best bet. But also PM Alex. He is taking a bunch of Vikings up at least 5 or 6. Im not sure if they are all spoken for. But if not that would make things even better.

Angus

fishyman wrote:

well i just went through the lures and i picked out the ones i thought might catch a bass but again a am i complete noob so i wouldnt really have a clue they might be wronng but hey.

so any ideas? do they look bassy to you? [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSCN3012_AFO.jpg

Are they all home made??

Ok Angus, you had better bring the camera and Banner!

This is what the role call looks like at this stage.

Probables

Lee

Dan

Kevin

Ray

Graham

Angus & dad

Terry

Stu

Tom B

Jimmybob

Alex

Clawhammer

Rocket & Kath

Bommie

Feral

Possibles

Pinky

Troy79

Brian

Faulked

Ash

Will

Malcom

Cando

Dino

Username Taken + 2 fly fisho mates

Hamish

Gaza

Fishyman, Father and mate.

Dont worry if your not on the list or in the wrong place or cant make it, its all pretty relaxed, the list is just (coz I like making lists, and) to get a rough idea of how many snags to bring.

That makes a possible photo opportunity for about 35 members Angus! Probably be closer to 20, but still make a good photo for the next article!

As mentioned I am bringing a swag of Snags, Terry has promised bread and Onions, Lee some drinks. Anyone else wants to bring anything along is welcome to, but does not need to!

BBQ - I'll start cooking around 11:30am assuming I get the timing right from coming back up the dam! (Last time at the Montville end, everyone was waiting for me when I got there!)

This should be an awesome day!

PS Anyone want to BBQ a bass or two?

Dan two casts of every lure there should just about fill up your mornings fishing! If you want to buy something else, get something in shiny blue or purple that goes deep.

For plastics, I like kokoda mad shads in the yellowy orange colour, or the squidgee's in the natural looking colour with lots of black in ot, have caught lots of bass at Baroon on both.

I think you might just have it all covered there Dan.B)

I went to BCF! for a rare visit today, impressive amount of lures:woohoo:

Controlled myself and bought myself a birthday present with the $10 my Grandma gave me!

I didn't have any really deep (but smallish) divers and following Lee's report recently, I got an RMG Poltergeist 50XDD 8m+. Colour R24, Purple top, silver sides and yellow+red underneath. Looks good to me, but then again, most lures do:blush:

Batteries are charging, trailer and boat are all set to go...bring it on!:woohoo:

Kath and I are going to bring some bags of chips to share after the fishin is done.

Rocket

Feral wrote:

Ok Angus, you had better bring the camera and Banner!

This is what the role call looks like at this stage.

Probables

Lee

Dan

Kevin

Ray

Graham

Angus & dad

Terry

Stu

Tom B

Jimmybob

Alex

Clawhammer

Rocket & Kath

Bommie

Feral

Possibles

Pinky

Troy79

Brian

Faulked

Ash

Will

Malcom

Cando

Dino

Username Taken + 2 fly fisho mates

Hamish

Gaza

Fishyman, Father and mate.

Dont worry if your not on the list or in the wrong place or cant make it, its all pretty relaxed, the list is just (coz I like making lists, and) to get a rough idea of how many snags to bring.

That makes a possible photo opportunity for about 35 members Angus! Probably be closer to 20, but still make a good photo for the next article!

As mentioned I am bringing a swag of Snags, Terry has promised bread and Onions, Lee some drinks. Anyone else wants to bring anything along is welcome to, but does not need to!

BBQ - I'll start cooking around 11:30am assuming I get the timing right from coming back up the dam! (Last time at the Montville end, everyone was waiting for me when I got there!)

This should be an awesome day!

PS Anyone want to BBQ a bass or two?

If you check the "Attend events" section mate under "Community" (or quick link it in my footer), youll also see that Leeann and Rob Payne are coming and my father in law.

Should be good!

Angus

Well a photo full of rough heads this time hopefully!

Terry 0 thin Beef ones (pretty sure beef) from the butcher at Graham road at Aspley, he does a nice bbq snag. Probably get 3 or 4 kilo's, any left over can go home.

Yeah extra bread might be a good idea, its looking like a full house!

TerryH wrote:

Crikey bigger turnout that I thought would be expected..

2 loaves enough? might have to pick up a 3rd or 4th. I'd rather get too much than too little:)

What type of snags are you taking Feral? BBQ?

Ill also be taking snags terry.

Ill just pop into my butcher tomorrow and get a mixed bag.

Angus

Probably got bread and snags covered Malcom, just bring your appetite!

I reckon I might bring some alfoil and a lemon, just to try BBQing a bass!

Been watching the weather forcast all week, it looks like it may be a bit blowy from the east, with showers about.

For those of you starting early, with little or no experience at Baroon be aware it can be foggy early on the dam (probably not with the wind forcast but you never know!). But with the wind from the east, the Montville ramp will be good, as it is on the eastern side of the dam!

Either way I'd suggest heading south along the shore from the ramp, then heading up into the inlet past the headland where the big blue marker bouy is.. Thats where we got most of our a fish a fortnight ago, and offers the best protection from the wind. Also if your into trolling, trolling between the cabins area (or about 200m past the cabins, its a bit shallow close) and the headland is quite deep water against the bank, and has produced some good fish in the past.

Hey everyone.

well here is the story.

Due to all the rain at Baroon it is very very high.

The Dam is not closed. But. It could be.

Basically if the water goes up enough in the next day its possible the ramp will be closed when we get there and the ranger will apparantly be ensuring people are off teh water.

Problem is the dam could be just as easily open.

Long story short.

I am going to chance it. Ill be there at 5:30am (ish) with crossed fingers.

I just wanted to throw it out to everyone so you know of the risks.

As Ray said to me, worst case scenario, a flick from the bank and a BBQ still :P

Ill probably end up down at the Maroochy River or something if its closed.

Cheers

Ill still be there, No rain here today so hopefully will be ok for sunday :) if baroon is out it might be worth a few of the yakkers heading only 20 mins further over the range to kenilworth and try for some wild bass in the mary river there there?

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=-26.596432,152.742834&spn=0.034076,0.058365&z=14&om=0

Lee

yeh well apparently after all the rain they have been getting quite a fe around the obi obi juction with the mary (fish from baroon) mostly bigger stuff. I think the bigger fish feel the flowing water and get the earge to breed, therefore heading over the wall. thats why there is a lot of smaller fish in baroon at the moment. the same thing happend up at lake mcdonald, a few weeks after the floods there they were getting rediculous numbers of very big bass at the juction of six mile and the mary. it has been near impossible to get a good bag of bigger fish there since

Lee

Archived