nice arvo @ GC canal

kevinchen19870316

Just had a gr8 arvo and I finally got some weight on the line. :P

Had mackmauler picked me up around noon and we headed to one of his good spots:woohoo: to try our luck. I didn’t expect much for all the freshwater flow and terrible weather for the past weeks.

Got there around high tide and started casting lures. I had my faithful sx48 color 307 on 20lb leaderB) and made the first cast. Bang! As soon as the lure hit the water, there’s a big boil and I was on!!!:blink: I didn’t expect it at all but the fish hooked itself and after a bit play, a nice little big eye trev’s by the boat. Being excited breaking the fish drought, I had a birdnest during the second cast:blush: but guess what! Something similar size hit my lure around 3m from the boat when I picked out the birdnest…..:blink: as expected, I had a gr8 fun catching those nice little trev around 20-30cm. :)

Mack got bored pretty soon and we started to drift and run some serious lures. I had a megabass X-80 trout color (similar to mullet color) on and within 10 mins casting at the structure. I got a nice hit from something big that crushed close my megabass hooks!!!:blush: So I put my faithful clear shrimp color x-80 on and 1st cast I got totally smashed within 3 cranks of handle. I could see line peeling off the reel and rod bending like hell, luckily the fish turned after 1st attempt to get me into snag and I had the lead. I called it a cod when most ppl would call it another cattie. Ha Around 2 mins later, it showed color and it’s red!!! :woohoo: My 1st jack!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: But just as I was trying to pull the leader and get it into the boat, the nice jack shaked its head and spat the hooks! :angry: @%$$%&(&(&&*^(*) I nearly jumped in the water and try to catch it. :angry: &*(_)(

Just as I dropped the fish, mack’s live mullet took off. With the locked up Calcutta 400a and his heavy rod, a nice jack’s brought in the boat in minutes.:lol: No curry. Lol

Kept casting for 30 mins or so I missed a few short bites and dropped a nice 60cm+ flattie by the boat! I donno what’s wrong with those hooks today. I missed hits,had crushed hooks, dropped fish….. enough!:angry:

Kept fishing for a while and lost 1 x-rap 10 to something fast but not as fast as the jack so maybe a nice cod:angry: . Then we head back to where we started and I got 10-15 more trev/tailor/bream on megabass live-x smolt. And a impressive 51cm flattie on the shallow diving minnow in 3m of water. :blink: Lol

Even though I dropped 2 nice fish, it was still a nice arvo and I finally hooked a jack and I NEARLY GOT IT IN THE BOAT!:silly:

Headed back when the rain started.

All fish released except for the 51cm flattie and a couple of bream. ;) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/small_trev_AFO.jpg

post-1433-144598444054_thumb.jpg

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

daniel, the jack fought HARD!!! but i was lucky enough to got the 50ish one close to boat...

Ha ha, I was hoping I'd be there to see you find that out. Oh well, maybe I'll be there when you finally land one.

I've had the same problem with jacks crushing fine gauge super sharp hooks.

You need to buy thicker steel ones and just keep sharpening them. Jacks bite down hard though so setting the hooks isn't usually a problem. The problem is the hooks surviving the snapping and crunching.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

thanks guys for the understanding. the jack i lost was just **&$^&*()

Nice fish Kevin. Top stuff. I dont usually mind giving my spots away but i totally understand that if someone shows you a spot and wants it kept a secret than thats that as it up to them.

Good session.

Angus

Angus wrote:

kevinchen19870316 wrote:
thanks guys for the understanding. the jack i lost was just **&$^&*()

Nice fish Kevin. Top stuff. I dont usually mind giving my spots away but i totally understand that if someone shows you a spot and wants it kept a secret than thats that as it up to them.

Good session.

Angus

well don't bother posting it and keep it a secret spot x

Don't want to get into a massive argument about this but I need to speak my mind. I'd rather read a post about a mystery spot than no post at all.

I think this is the first time Kev's ever blacked out photos so I think it's fine. Go back over any of mine and Kev's previous reports and they're littered with clear photos and detailed descriptions of location, lures, techniques etc.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

AngGoLee wrote:
wat a session !! suppose to be there because of exams.. damn:(

i usually just get a medical certificate though:laugh:

that's the way to do it - go the re-sit!!!! got me through uni... hmmm... surfs at 6ft... re-sit. tailor are on at straddie... re-sit... you get the idea :laugh:

sounds like great fun ! what's the lure loss count today Kev?

as nice as it is to share with the afo family I too can understand not disclosing exact locations on an open forum.

If you really want to know, you can always send a PM and get to know the member in question, you never know, you might get a deckie spot like Kev did today with Mack!

I don't know any really good spots though, so no good asking me:silly:

Rocket

Good session Kev - I owe you a beer for the tips on hb's and in particular the sx-48. Aside from a loss or two they are fantastic and the house doesn't smell like gulp packets (why don't those things close properly!!!). I agree on the black out alpha masking business - although my fave Teneriffe spot was taken last weekend by some guys with bait and esky's. I asked how they were doing and their first response was "we threw all the undersized ones back"..maybe a guilty conscience.

Anyway, I went back down to Newstead House and watched them throw the remains of their baits from the boardwalk - pilchards, squid, bread and all kinds of thing. Hurried up there a few minutes later with my sx-48s and I was into the action, 2 bream caught in quick order feeding on the leftovers. Great stuff, but getting dark so headed home.

Anyway, thanks again for the post!

Archived