Barra north of rocky?

pete8862

Hi guys,

i'm heading off at easter to just north of Rockhamton, hoping to get onto some barra, can anyone help with what type of lure might do the trick up there.

also going to try & catch some muddys any thoughts on bait? it's a long way to lug stinky bait.

pete

let us know where mate and i'm sure many people will be happy to help out.

i found bombers to be the best lure for barra when in WA, go the purple if they still make them. i preferred to use SP's, the bigger the better. muddies - tins of cat food (a fishy one) with holes punched in them work pretty well and can be easily transported. about $1 will get you the "home brand" version on a bad day.B)

Hi Pete, I'd use Halcos,or try those new Vipers worked well at awoonga.

If you head up thirsty sound (away from the sea) you,ll come across alot of creeks entering the main chanel these have always produced good fish(in the nets anyway). Also if you want to make a 2+ hr run (Depending on your boat)you will come to the mouth of the Styx river & Herbets Creek . This is the home of Crabs & Barra.

Crabpot bait any fish frames.Make sure you tie off your pots or use heavy ones fast tidal runs up there.

On your way through Rocky is Barra Jacks Tackle shop (opposite the fountain on the Hi-Way) he has a good supply of Lures & sells Crabpot Bait in packs of 4 , Usually cut up Catties.

Have fun and have a coldie at the Plumb tree store for me.

Laurie

oh mate wat a good post myself and fishyman and planning a trip up north in our september skool holidays, which sound be awsome cause im the same as you want to catch barra in the wild. i think it would be just awsome.

anyways mate goodluck i hope to see some post from u when u get back. :-)

Pete,

The tide can run pretty hard at Stanage so take some lures that work in a fast run without too much resistance. Best barra lure in the shallows or fast water for me is the SandViper. Works well everywhere. Great for twitching over rock bars, flats and snags. Take some metalic gold and some fluoro colours too. (Top secret barra colour is Citrus Bomb). Check out the product review on this site for a sample of what they'll catch.

Also take a box of Spoonbills, they run deeper and are great for trolling or casting.

Schultzy.

fished up that way all my life,i think live bait would be better this time of year plus there will be a fair bit of freash around still..as for crabbing up there it the best ive seen,some people compare the fishing and crabbing to the gulf..but i have found freash mullet fillets or pig or even roo works well...good luck

Archived