My Early Chrissy Present from Ray

Feral

Dunno what reel, will have to see how the finances go, if I can get a newbie that would be good, if not I've got a Shimano 4000 series in the back of the shed that should do.

Took it out for a spin to Bribie this morning, geez the action is good, its got 20 metres in the cast on my other 175cm rod!

Still pliant enough to catch a dozen 4 inch whiting for my daughter to play with, and cast one back as a livie!

If it's a spinning rod then your going to need a reel with a lot more drag capacity then a 4000 sized shimano. A 4000 Daiwa Certate would do the job well. Daiwa reels tend to have much higher drag capacities over shimano reels that are designed for the same use. Like a Daiwa Millionaire S.W. 203 and Shimano Calcutta 200B for Barra. The Millionaire has 5kgs max. drag where as the Calcutta only has 3.5kgs of drag and both are considered the best baitcast Barra reels of Shimano and Daiwa. Most owners of tackle stores will turn you tolook at the S.W. 203 mainly because of the drag cap. Ando can you back me up on some of this? :P .

In the timber a baitcast outfit is preferred. Mainly because they are built for more quick and accurate casting and also when you hook a big Barra you can jam your thumbs down on the spool to assist in the drag. Out in the open you can use anything. I'm taking up my two Barra baitcast outifts as well as my soft plastic outfit with a much smaller lure and 8lb Fireline. Just for fun of corse :P:lol: .

Troy

P.S. Check out this link to see the Certate 4000. The SOL 3000 probably has the drag capacity as well. Though probably doesn't have the line capacity.

/>http://www.daiwa.com/Reel/spinning.aspx

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/10/07 21:57

Looks good, but I reckon I have got used to the one hand casting of the shimano (you know the little lever you grab with the line, and it opens the bail arm, allowing you to caste one handed), probably a ditzy thing to look for in a reel, but I am a creature of habit! So I will see what is around that has that feature.

Archived