kayak pfds

efc

PFD's are compulsory for open waters, 2nm off shore, But as metioned they are essential equipment on any kayak & you shouldn't go in the bay without one.

There are 2 sorts of inflatables pfd's, self inflating & manual. Both are unsuitable for kayaks. Self inflating PFD's activate as soon as they are submerged in water, not much good if you simply fall of the kayak and are in no immediate danger (can happen easily) or are surf launching. Likewise a manually inflated PFD is uselss if you have been knocked out during a kayak rollover from a surf launch, boat or rogue wave.

Most guys use a PFD2. PFD1's are too bulky in general for comfortable paddling for hours on end. PFD3's can be a a bit too light on buoyancy. There is a wide range of PFD 2's available that come in specific paddling styles, with larger armholes to allow movement. Look for a model with pockets & you'll be a happy yaker! :cheer:

Lazybugger wrote:

PFD's are compulsory for open waters, 2nm off shore, But as metioned they are essential equipment on any kayak & you shouldn't go in the bay without one.

There are 2 sorts of inflatables pfd's, self inflating & manual. Both are unsuitable for kayaks. Self inflating PFD's activate as soon as they are submerged in water, not much good if you simply fall of the kayak and are in no immediate danger (can happen easily) or are surf launching. Likewise a manually inflated PFD is uselss if you have been knocked out during a kayak rollover from a surf launch, boat or rogue wave.

Most guys use a PFD2. PFD1's are too bulky in general for comfortable paddling for hours on end. PFD3's can be a a bit too light on buoyancy. There is a wide range of PFD 2's available that come in specific paddling styles, with larger armholes to allow movement. Look for a model with pockets & you'll be a happy yaker! :cheer:

That's all great advice, but i'm interested to know if it's a legal requirement to wear a PFD1 in open water in a yak, just as is it is in a power boat?

Or are you legally able to wear a PFD2?

I know what you're going through. Definatly get one...as Faulked said turn around for half a second and you're in the drink, and if the sucker rolls on top of you and hits you on the coconut there's an easy chance you could get knocked out!

My advice is to try one on in the store...XXL ain't often big enough. Plus some tend to ride high on your body i.e. over your gut and bunch-up on your chest as well as looking/feeling odd. They're designed that way to keep the boyancy high on the body to stop you bobbing upside down like a cork. The model 'pcsolutionman' suggested are great...but put 1 on before you buy!

Archived