First Yak Trip

Cowfish13

We chose to head off Wello Pt as our first trip in our new-ish (ie secondhand) yaks. Jack's was Terry's old yak, a Prowler 13 and mine was WayneD's old one, a Perception Swing.

No great fish were landed (only thing caught was a Porcupine Fish by Jack:silly:), but it was a fun trip. Was made even more fun with waves splashing over the bow and over the sides when I got pushed side on by the ways:lol:

It all went pretty well, considering it was our first real paddle of the two yaks. Can't wait to get out again:cheer:

Mine went really well. Was really easy to paddle through the waves. Jack's look like it went well as well. He had a definate advantage with the rudder while drifting. I had to use my paddle a few times to straighten up, where as he could just use his feet.

Weather was pretty good. In a Tinny the waves would be nothing, but there were a couple of bigger sets that came occasionally. It got up to around 15kts, but we were in close most of the time, so it wasn't too bad.

Rocket75 wrote:

Did anyone go for an unexpected swim? If not, I reckon you can classify your first as a highly successful trip:P

Rocket

Nah, no body did. The Yaks never felt like they were gonna capsize. Both are very well designed:)

Lee: Can't wait to give some of the really narrow creeks around Brisbane (like Nundah) a good run over:)

Archived