my 1st trip to brunswick head, NSW

kevinchen19870316

now here's the report!

after getting permission from Mrs, i was finally able to go down south with daniel. thanks for his expertise, i was put on some awesome fishing action for the 1 day and a half staying in his parent's place.

i was shown some very nice looking and fishy spots and the 1st is the rock wall around 7mins drive from his place. we hit there at bottom of the tide 4am in the morning with bream in mind. he was using is 1-6lb berkley tactix with TP2000 spooled with 8lb sensor and i was casting with my megabass fullhouse 3-11lb matched with kix2000 spooled with 2lb fireline. both of us were using 4lb leader. the water was clear and we saw all the fish swimming around, within casts, i was on! i was amazed with i saw what's on the end of my line, a huge mullet!:blink: . after a bit of sizzling runs a nice 60cm(if i remember right) mullet's landed with my gulp shrimp in its mouth!

then i got a few hits no hook up when i noticed some baitfisho casting pilly for tailor on the other side of the rock wall where big waves forms but water's still clear and i could see through the water as if it was not there~. i put on a 15grms prawn style lure( fast sinking) and jig it really really hard then i was on in seconds! a few good runs later a 40cm tailor's in the net.:woohoo: dan's onto a nice bream later and he landed it without any help from others, sorry, i should've come over to net it for ya.

then i switched to a duel lipless crank and crank it as fast as i can then it goes ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.............. gone!:blink: must've been a massive tailor! a few more casts in interest so i put on a slug and i got smashed b4 i close the bail arm, zzzzzzzzzz.......... gone the fish and the lure. so i put on another slug and finally managed to hook a smaller one:silly: but i dropped it at feet. it's around 45cm.

then i kept getting drag screaming runs but i couldn't set the thick hook with 2lb line. so i switched to a squid jig in hope of a squid. after some casts i thought, why can't i fish the jig for tailor:P . so i chuck it out as far as i can and reeled it in at top speed. then all i know is all the splashes on the surface and tailor jumping behind the lure.:blink: :blink: :blink: . no hook up though, lol.

then i called dan and he witnessed how a tailor smashed my jig 5-6 times with good jumps and smashes in 1 cast. the force of the fish hitting my lure nearly took the rod out of my hand but amazingly its not hooked:blush: . then dan made a cast with a gulp shrimp and while he's on the phone a fish decided to give him a hard time:P . but dan managed to get the fish in and it was a nice dart at 40ish( dan's got exact length).

then we headed home for a bit of float fishing with no success so we headed back to the rock wall again in the arvo. this time he's equiped with his trion Medium heavy rod with TP spooled with 15lb braid and i was using my holiday iso rod for some seabream. when i was playing with bream, he started his awesome performance. when all the other bait fisherman were casting bait with old alveys, this guy used his spinning gear to spin for tailor. he hauled in 5 tailor in 8 casts in the amazement of all baitos. then a guy saw him and decided to have a go with his alvy. then i saw him spinning a slug with his alvey like crazy, he body's shaking and his head's shaking with every crank of the reel and he's on!:lol: . he ended up with 1 tailor then gave up cuz he's too exhausted.:S

at this time, i cast some bait to the underwater rocks and got totally owned by seabream. the big guns made my reel screaming like crazy and i couldn't control them with my light rod. in 20mins i got 2 hook ups but both busted me off after mins of hard fight and good runs.:angry:

we called it a night after dark then.

after some sleep, we hit boat harbour for some super finesse breaming this morning when he taught me how to go super super finesse with a nice 35cm bream and a nice little trev. i got some smaller ones but no where as good as his.

so thanks dan for taking me down south and i've had the most awesome fishing weekend ever!

dan's gonna put up some pics and i'll have to get some sleep after 23hrs of fishing...

Thanks for the company Kev. Was good fun.

Just 2 corrections. 6lb TD and I'd say my Trion in medium light:P

Now for what everyone really cares about... The Pics! Oh and if anyone wants exact locations then I'm happy to share to make up for our last report.;)

To start off Kev's giant sea mullet [img size=375]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/mullet.jpg

STU wrote:

Those tailer would of been fun did you try poppers

Yeah we threw all sorts of things at the Taylor and they smashed at most of them but I only set the hooks when using slugs. Poppers would work if you persisted with it and had nice new Owners attached.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

stu: tried popper but we were fishing 4-5m from sea so we cannot really burn the popper. when doing usual retrieves like pop n pause and jerking retrieve, water's so clear that fish always follow but wouldn't hit.

I got a few hits on that 80mm R2S Bubble pop Kev but couldn't hook up.

Plastic Man wrote:

nice report guys but were the 40cm+ bream i always here about from down there

The sea bream are along the rock wall now and Kev hooked a few but kept getting bricked. Some of them will be well over 40:) In a few months they'll be in around the sheltered rock walls and be easier to catch.

Do$tylz wrote:

sounds like an AWESOME trip guys. Is brunswick heads before or after byron bay???

Sorry, missed this question. It's about 15 mins north. I know of someone who said they had walked to Byron from the South breakwall at the Bruns in about half a day.

Byron itself has lots of awesome fishing potential except it is almost all protected now like half the Bruns. If anyone is going down there be sure to check the zoning because it can be a bit confusing and make sure you get a licence. I was checked for one the other day but I always have it on me.

I've fished by boat within 50m of the main breakwall on the inside of the river and it was fine but you'd be insane to fish there at night even when it's calm. Some freak swells come in with extreme force. See where Kev is standing in the shot with his ISO rod. A wave came in that completely drenched him head to toe and he was standing at least 15ft above the water. You can fish it pretty well off land there you just need heavy leader to stop the fish from busting you up on the rocks.

Sooo many great spots to fish that I have yet to hit, if only I was indepedantly wealthy and didn't have to go back to work I reckon I could fish for years and still not try even 1/2 of them.

Thanks for the report fellas, sure looked like fun to me.

Rocket

brisfisher wrote:

sounds like an awsome trip,well done fellas:)n thats a stonka mullet,there meant to be good eating outa the sea.

I got one at 60cm lastweekend from the sea .... filled up flour egg seasoned bread crumbs pan fried with some good olive oil.... I wasn't sure how it would taste.... AWESOME :ohmy: some of the best fillets I have ever had...

Archived