Red Claw

Nossman

Pet shop maybe :silly: haha, nah mate, they are not native to this part of qld, (the from northern qld, gulf country). http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3028_ENA_HTML.htm

Having said that I'm lead believe that there is quite a healthy population in NPD due to somebody releasing some there a while back.

Best baits well, boiled potatoes, dry dog food, even fish frames (preferably from fish caught from same body of water, as to not introduce foreign diseases), and people will even say soap. But soap shouldn't be used as it isn't good for the other fish in the dam.

Good luck mate, they pretty tasty, just remember if you catch them, don't use them for bait anywhere around here.

Cheers,

Matt

NPD should be good for redclaw after the recent rises as a few years ago they really exploded about 2 months after a big inflow.I would wait a few days for the level to stabilise after the recent rain as you may not be able to find your pots with rising levels.

Try leaving them in overnight.Ihave found fish frames to be the best bait in NPD.

Cheers

Ray

prepare to eat similar to lobster. cut in half, clean guts and stuff out of head area and then either boil in lightly salted water or bbq. they go great with some chilli and ginger sauce with a dash of white wine on the bbq. i have found salami works as bait in other areas.

We prepare them by twisting the head off and in the niddle of the tail there is a small kind of a flopper/flap that you grab with a pair of pliers and twist until it comes loose and then pull and that will pull the vein out of the body.

We usually just blanch them in boiling water till they just have a tinge of pink on the edges then split on halves and scoop out the meat with a teaspoom.

The claw meat is tasty but we dont bother with them as its too much like hard work for little return.

When they were on at NPD we used to get an esky full of just tails from 16 pots.

Cheers

Ray

Caught a bucket load over easter at Sommerset Dam. (about an hour north). Best bait was half cooked potatoes and a slice or two of Rock Melon. (yes I know, I didn't believe it either, but it worked).

A favorite way to cook them is either boil them fo about 5 - 8 Min, (depending on the size), let them cool then hook in:woohoo: . Or cut them in half with a sharp knife and cook on a hot plate that has been covered in crushed garlic and a little oil,(cut side down to seal it first). After turning drizzle the oil and garlic on top then cover with a little sour cream.

Good luck:woohoo: :woohoo:

Got an update on North Pine Dam Redclaw from the Scientist studying the dam. Basically they are very few and far between because the weed beds and plants are gone because of the drought. Over 2 weeks, using 16 traps, he did not get a single redclaw..

Archived