Mission Beach

Dec

Hey just asking this for my mate Hamish who is going up to mission beach in these school holidays. Ok while where are good places to fish land based and some close inshore reefs as he recently bought a 5m half cab. What should he try around there and even if there are any close estuaries if the weather is bad. He has just started to fish lures both SPs and HBs but he still has a good collection of gear. I havent really fished up north in the salt so I couldnt really give him much info. So I thought with all of the people on the site at least someone has fished the Mission beach area. Any info would be great.

Never been myself but have a mate that goes to Kurramine a lot (just south of Mission beach). The reef is in very close so should have no dramas fishing it. Then there are a few little tall islands pop up not far from shore either...maybe 20 km round trip.

Your mate's pretty lucky - he's probably going to get fat on Coral Trout.:woohoo:

There is a creek between Kurramine and Mission that is fishable too if the weather is bad.

ellicat wrote:

Never been myself but have a mate that goes to Kurramine a lot (just south of Mission beach). The reef is in very close so should have no dramas fishing it. Then there are a few little tall islands pop up not far from shore either...maybe 20 km round trip.

Your mate's pretty lucky - he's probably going to get fat on Coral Trout.:woohoo:

There is a creek between Kurramine and Mission that is fishable too if the weather is bad.

Poor Elli,Got his compass upside down again :silly: When I lived up that way Kurramine was North of Mission Beach,(might have got moved in a cyclone) :laugh: :laugh:

Pleanty of close in reefs to fish ,Just check on the GBRMPA website for the "Green Zones". I know that Dunk Island has some aeras and Beddera Island is privately owned,they frown upon people fishing too close to all the "Snobs".

King Reef, the one Elli is talking about, Good for snorkling at low tide and picking up Crays.

If the weather is bad, drive down to Cardwell and fish the Hinchenbrook island or the chanel.

Good boat ramp at "Bingal Bay",Clump point Jetty, about 3k north of Mission.

The furtherest point of dunk from the mainland and about 200 mtrs out from the rocks is good for reefies (dont know if this is a green zone now?)and the hull river is not called the heartbreak hull for nothing.. it is a bit of a hard river too fish but has plenty of muddies and some big blackbream around the mouth. Also spanards and trevs and plenty of sharks off the north mission jetty.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived