Monstered in the river.

obone

Had my first bingle today with a big threadie or a big cod.

Went for a fish for an hour or so this afternoon. Tried a new area near me that I have always wanted to fish but never bothered, but i'll be going back!

Start the story from last week. Brought a good new spool of braid to put on my baitcaster, but I thought 'ah I wont put it on till I go to Moreton in July, and I'll just use my skanky old braid till then in the river,' bad choice :angry:

Went to my cast netting spot and in 3 casts had a decent amount of prawns and a big mullet so was off to a good start. Went to my new spot and threw out with a small sinker and live prawn. No sooner had I sat down, !ziiing!, and whatever it was, was off! Grabbed the rod and it was peeling off line pulling very hard, so I thumbed it and twang :angry: :angry: :angry: goooooooooone. Damn my skanky old line, snapped somewhere along the braid near the fish! Cursed myself for not changing lines, but still very exciting that something went pretty hard in my new spot!! Ideas as to what it was? I'll be going back there during next week between uni exams ;) to hook him again!

Joel ;)

Malcolm wrote:

Maybee the mid Brissie River Jew I'm going to catch tommorow.Do you want to come Joel?

Mate would have loved to have come but I have an a bloody exam on Monday that I'm going to be cramming for! Piss poor timing! Next time for sure.

Joel ;)

good one mate ;)

Im going buy some new braid now and some fluo-carbon leader,

upgrade my reels a little,

Im going lighter but stronger

probably go from 18 lb high tensile line to 12-14 lb braid with a flurocarbon leader about 30 lb or somthing like that.

I'm pumped to catch somthing now after reading you post and after seeing Kevins great catch.

I have been steering clear of the river lately.

Regards

Dan

In all seriousness i have wanted to invest some more time into this area for ages. There are rock bars, drop offs, mangroves galore, creek mouths and so on.

Considering what gets caught up at kooka etc, this area surely must have a reasonable population of most mangrove creek species. And less fishing preasure to boot!

Angus

Archived