baitrunner spin reel

benno573

hi all,

looking for some advice.

i would like to purchase a reasonable (but not over the top) baitfeeder/runner reel, capable of running 50lb main line with a decent spool capacity (will be using braid so most likely not a huge issue). i have been looking and can't really decide on one i like. not looking to spend big money ($200 absolute tops). any suggestions?

benno

Mack_attack wrote:

what kind of drag would you be running? i reckon they'd be fine to altleast 6 or 7kg,;) sorry i don't know personally anyone who uses them.:(

hrmm... 6 or 7 kg won't stop too many GT's mate...:P would have to be able to run 12-15kg drag at least, more would be great but that whole balancing it with the price etc... :dry:

ellicat - thanks for the tip mate! will check them out for sure.

yeah true faulked, and a TLD 20 even better again for the same price... :dry: was hoping for a spinning reel as they are a lot easier to jig with for long periods of time... and have the ability to throw massive roosta poppers around with ease. :dry: the shimano ellicat suggested does look pretty good...

thanks for the help mack attack... the more research i am doing on the daiwa, the more it is coming up the goods. will have to go have a look at one somewhere i think - if not up the scratch i will be looking at the shimano for sure. the daiwa runs a max of 33lb of drag! that is awesome for a reel of that price!

if your going for like 20kg gt's and the 10-15kg of drag youd be better of trying to get a decent reel because if u get a cheaper reel might only last a coupl of time then you would need to replace it and if u keep replacing them because the reel is cheap it would end up costing more than a better reel that would last longer

Whatnow That's what i was thinking too.:dry:

If you can do without the baitrunner feature you could get the spheros 14000FA of motackle for $159 down from $199. It has 24lbs of drag and a line capacity of 220yds of 30lb line. I have seen this reel land many GTs and kingies as it is commonly used for Popping and jigging purposes as it brings in 100cm of line per turn of the handle. Plus it has, ARBs, power stoppers, a power roller and the fluid drive II feature as in the Sustains

This would be my choice;)

http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=95

any particular reason u need a baitrunner on it benno?

if not if u got a similair priced normal spin reel as mack attack said the reel will probably have stronger drag and components which would make it last longer even though youl be using it for strong fish

just a quick thanks to everyone for their advice.

i've decided to buy two :blush: ... but not both of them right now. i went with a shimano spheros 14000 which will be used predominately for jigging and bottom bashing. i will end up with the daiwa bait runner for live baiting at a later date. should have the shimano ready for the bay tours charter! ready to test it out to the max as well! :woohoo:

benno

I'll be bringing my Daiwa Regal PLus bri - the one I bought off Boon recently. I have it threaded with 50lb braid so feel free to have a bash at it mate.

Truth is I was impressed with the baitrunner concept after using 1 on the Rebel T and that's why I bought it. Its still a virgin though can't wait for the charter to get it wet!:woohoo:

Archived