Curtain Yesterday

Nastymind

What a beautiful day.

A little bit choppy getting out there in the dark but even after 12 hours of fishing, neither one of the six people aboard my boat wanted to go home.

Come the afternoon the weather just glassed out like i've never seen before.

In 70 feet of water you could see every bit of detail on the ship wrecks of Curtain Artificial Reef.

It was amazing.

We had a large school of monster size trevally swimming in our burley trail for over 2 hours.

We threw every type of lure at them and presented our baits in many shapes, sizes, forms using many different guages of tackle and leader.....

hooking up to none of them.

We actually left to go home while they were still there.

It was heartbreaking.

I didn't get pics of all of our catches but fishe of the day were a 57cm something a rather (still not sure but it looks like a sweetlip species of some sort), a 45cm cod, 47cm sweetlip and although not legal a small coral trout and undersize red emporer.

Also got to see my department manager, Kris (AFO member name: Krazy) fight something for about ten minutes before getting busted off. (it was bloooooooody huge)

We mingled with dolphins and dugongs and played jokes on each other all day.

I got Marcus a beauty when we went in to the beach so the girls could split a whisker.

He was on the front end ready to jump off into the shallow water and i told him it was only two feet deep.....:laugh:

well, you can guess the rest :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Then one of the girls, Marina, jumped off the boat and fell on her ass in the water :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

We all had a great laugh and continued on with our day.

There were six of us aboard and i tell you what, i'd do it again with that bunch any day.

Michael [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/CIMG1200.jpg

post-915-144598462979_thumb.jpg

Nastymind wrote:

i don't reckon that's a trout... reckon it's a coral cod? still, beautiful fish though...

p.s. i hate you!!!:P what an awesome day out!! and i think the "sweetlip" is a slatey/morwong? bit hard to tell from the photo, good eating if that's what it was!

benno573 wrote:

Nastymind wrote:

i don't reckon that's a trout... reckon it's a coral cod? still, beautiful fish though...

p.s. i hate you!!!:P what an awesome day out!! and i think the "sweetlip" is a slatey/morwong? bit hard to tell from the photo, good eating if that's what it was!

No definately not a slatey bream.

It has the defined facial patterns of a sweetlip family.

The body shape of it to me though is that of a female blue groper.

according to grants a prized table fish... was it bigger than 38cm? looks it by the photo... :dry: you just tossed back dinner!!! :laugh:

i reckon the other one is a netted morwong, also called netted sweetlip, gold spot blubberlips (by jeff f anyway). a female blue groper has a different shaped "snout" looking in grants.

The coral cod was definately under 38cm, but that's great to know for the future.

The photo i got of the female groper was actually found by google image searching 'female blue groper'.

It's a spitting image.

I sent a pic to a lady that i know who is renowned in the diving industry and was referred to it as being the species.

I will check out netted sweetlip now though.

Cheers,

Michael

what is generally termed "sweetlip" (grassys and spangled) are actually emperor species, closely related to red emperor. hence the very different taste to slateys. netted "sweetlip" are actually from the same family as morwong (incl slateys, brown morwong etc) which i reckon generally taste ok and are actually a "true" sweetlip. i have never eaten a netted sweetlip, grants said they are ok but they can have a weedy taste if not bled which it looks like you did anyway. should be ok mate, if not, just add more sauce! :laugh:

i new i should have stayed there!

we hit the tangalooma wrecks for a bit of a change and only got trevally and bream down there!

i did get 1 good run but had the camera round my wrist and couldnt wind the reel prop!:angry:

we had about 100 or more trvelly on our bearly trail and had no prob hooking them 2 at a time! it looked pretty cool watching them take the bait and go crazy!

we caught about 30 or more fish for the day but only took home 2:ohmy:

a squire of 37cm and a bar tail flattie of 35cm:huh:

im heading to mud again for an overniter on sat if anyone wants to join the bearly trail?

cheers Ian

Nastymind wrote:

benno573 wrote:
how'd it taste nastymind?

Haven't eaten it yet.

What's the eating quality of a netted morwong/netted sweetlip like?

Because i don't rate morwong/motherinlaw/slatey bream at all, but i highly rate sweetlip.

Despite what benno said about the family they belong to, they taste just like sweetlip strangely enough. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

rumrunner, Those trevally taste better than the species you took home I reckon. Good to hear you got onto a few too.

Archived