Raby Bay Sunday November 5

blue_mako

Hey Guys.

Met up for a yack fish with Nabeel (nabs12) and his dad as they have a new 3 person kayak and were willing to test it out. Got there at around 6am and loaded up the yack and rods while waiting for Nabeel. We left by around 6:30am. This was my first time here and the place looks like it's got some good potential if there's not so much rain the day before causing the water to go murky. :( .

We fished the canals first up. Not many fish were about and my casting wasn't to crash hot :P . I found more fish off the rocky banks rather then around the pontoons. There's thousands of small fingerling sized Bream around the rocks and they arn't shy on nibbling a Bloodworm coloured Berkley Power Grub. Though every so often I was getting smacked by much bigger fish inbetween the tiny nibbles. Had my tail ripped off once after my biggest hit of the day. Unfortunately he only wanted the tail and not the jighead :P .

After that I changed to a Pink Lemonade Power Grub and was still getting the small nibbles. We moved canals and I ened up with a midget Moses Perch second cast with the grub. He went around a whole 7 or 8cms :unsure: . Nabeel was changing between Gulp Minnows and Bass Minnows and onlymanaged a few hits.

Nabeel and his Dad decided to pack it in at around 10am while I stayed for the run out. I decided to follow them back out the eastern canal mouth and along the rock wall. I was trolling a Halco Scorpian in 35mm size and ended up with a Silver Biddy! About the same size as the Moses Perch I caught earlier. Maybe I should have kept him for live bait!

I stayed around the boat ramp for not one single hit before heading back to the canals for three or four follows by Bream of around legal size and one smack as my Scorp was floating up just below the surface. How do fish miss 6 hooks on a 35mm lure? :blink: .

I stayed there until around 12:30pm then headed back out. Around the boat ramp there are some nice coffee rock flats with some nice steady dropoffs around the boat ramp that are quite visible at low tide. First cast, was that a hit? Then after a short run I pull up a nice little Estuary Cod around 26cms which is my biggest on artificial. Took me awhile to get the Scorp out of his mouth as it was inhaled way down his gob. Luckily I had bought some pliers about a month back for Awoonga. One of the best investments as I have used them on every trip since I have bought them. Much easier and less nervie when removing trebles :lol: . After a quick measure away he went.

I drifted the drop offs 3 or 4 more times for no success then decided to cross over towards the boat ramp where there is a Marine Rescue pontoon. I was hoping for some Bream but wasn't sure about that with the amount of boat traffic around. First jerk on the first cast had me on with another Moses Perch which fought much harder and felt bigger since he had gotten tangled up with the trebles. One hook in the corner of his jaw and the other in behind his pectoral fin. Once again the pliers did well in hooking the 24cm fish and away he went.

Once the tide got really low I decided to head around the coffee rock flats in search for some Long Tom. I saw 2 huge Mud Crabs scrurry once they saw me, which actually startled me on both times :P . After about one hour I had spotted about 50 massive Mullet and only 1 Long Tom around the meter mark which was gone before I could get a cast out :( . So decidedto call it quits at around 2:30pm wehn Mum was at the boat ramp.

I'd like to hit this place up again prior to rain as I hear it's got some awesome Bream fishing around the pontoons in the clearer water.

Troy

Nar Tim, they arn't accessable landbased. There's only the one at the boat ramp which you could cast at from the bank with eas on either side. Other then that there might be one or two through-out the canal system you could get a cast at if you were fishing from a vacant 'for sale' lot.

Troy

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/11/06 18:22

Archived