Pipi Form Letter?

waldo

I did a bit of a shoot around to try and pin down a few things I have heard and read in the past and came up with this. Thought it might be useful as a base for a form letter?

If any can make any improvements, spelling correction and know how to make it useful for others to send in to the DPI go for it. I'm no good at formal type stuff so hopefully someone else can tidy it up some.

<- cut and paste or print out below ->

+++++++++++++Please submit written comments to DPI&F Fisheries Resource Management, GPO Box

46, Brisbane Qld 4001 by COB Friday 8 August 2008.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would like to formally lodge my objection to any permits being issued for developmental

fishing for bivalve molluscs (Order Bivalvia), including pipis (Donax deltoides), from ocean

beaches and waters along the southern Queensland coastline.

The common pipi is currently harvested by recreational fishermen for bait, and predated upon

by pied oyster eaters, rays and crabs, as well as being eaten by a wide range of local fishes

as well schools of spawning migratory fish.

Anecdotal evidence has shown that the North Stradbroke Island population of pipis reached a

peak in app 2003, the reason for which is unknown. These numbers had not been previously seen

in the respondents memory with over 30 years experience on the island.

Being a filter feeder pipis are susceptible to absorbing various toxins making them a

potential hazard to humans if consumed, with New South Wales fisheries having banned the

eating of them.

Naturally high mortalities and a susceptibility to high fresh water flows leaves them open to

large swings in numbers. Mass mortalities have been observed in South Australia under a

number of circumstances such as flooding and prolonged periods of warm calm weather. With

global warming an increasing influence on our weather extremes like the above may well become

the norm.

In NSW the Stockton beach pipi fishery has collapsed to less than 15% of its previous volumes

and South Australian fisheries has been forced to introduce quotas for Goolwa cockles (pipi)

following widespread concern about the future of stocks. A November 2000 report by ABC

Landline contained information that "a cockle fishery in Florida fished out all its stocks

with in a season when it introduced mechanical harvesting. Legend has it those stocks never

returned" showing how delicate some pipi populations may be.

The Pied Oystercatcher although considered Federally to be 'secure' is listed as 'vulnerable'

in NSW. This somewhat shy bird is heavily dependant on pipis as a food source, so much so

that it carries the name pipi or eugarie bird in some areas. An Australian Museum fact sheet

quotes "Pied Oystercatchers have probably declined throughout much of their range and the

current population may be as low as 10,000" "The distribution and abundance of oystercatchers

was correlated with several variables including the density and length of Pipis...."

suggesting a reduction in the number of pipis could negatively impact this vulnerable

species.

Migratory fish species going or returning from spawning areas move into gutters and feed upon

pipis in what is otherwise a very barren habitat. Tailor, bream, whiting, flathead and

tarwhine are just a few of the fish which consume pipis at these times.

To grant these permits could potentially not only put the pipi population of south east

queensland in jeopardy but also

damage the tourism potential of some areas

effect local fishers

damage the pied oyster eater population

put at risk the breeding potential of a number bread and butter fish species.

Without supporting research to establish stocks and sustainable yields it could only be

considered questionable and unprofessional practice to grant such permits.

Yours Sincerely,

SIGN HERE

Name

Address

Sources

NSW fisheries

SA fisheries

Australian Broadcasting Corporation

NSW Fisheries Research Institute

austmus.gov.au

wikipedia.org

sa.gov.au

abc.net.au

Grants Guide to Fishes

Qld DPI

+1 get rid of wiki reference.

U should also include your phone number when submitting to government as is often surname vs registered phone number to confirm legitimacy (there's a 99% chance they'll never call you).

Apart from that, bl00dy awesome job, i'll be printing off a few and sending them to local rep and dpi (thanks for doing the hard yards).

as per previous topic, strange how they intro these "green" zones, then want to commercially harvest one of the root food sources. It's almost akin to taking the plankton out of the antartic and watching the whales die.

The quotes were sourced from the following areas,

www.abc.net.au/landline/stories/s215261.htm

"a cockle fishery in Florida fished out all its stocks

with in a season when it introduced mechanical harvesting. Legend has it those stocks never

returned"

www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/pied_oystercatcher.htm

"Pied Oystercatchers have probably declined throughout much of their range and the

current population may be as low as 10,000"

www.publish.csiro.au/paper/MU01053

"The distribution and abundance of oystercatchers

was correlated with several variables including the density and length of Pipis...."

In the sources there is some duplication as I sourced all information from the net and have quoted both the web and real names eg Australian Brroadcasting Commision and abc.net.au when they are the same source I guess.

Rather than sending numerous copies of the same letter to the DPI, maybe you could get everybody who wants to sign it to send you their details in a private message? People could also print it off and send it individually to their local member if they wanted.

Also, would it be worth sending it as an open letter to the courier mail, with the same signatories on it- just get it in the public domain? A lot of people who might otherwise be concerned wouldn't have had access to that link.

Good work, by the way.

Hi Magpie, submissions close on the 8th of August (2 weeks) so anything that can be done quickly would be good.

Ok made the few changes that were suggested with the addition of a big oversight now included,

+++++++++++++Please submit written comments to DPI&F Fisheries Resource Management, GPO Box 46, Brisbane Qld 4001 by COB Friday 8 August 2008.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I would like to formally lodge my objection to any permits being issued for developmental fishing for bivalve molluscs (Order Bivalvia), including pipis (Donax deltoides), from ocean beaches and waters along the southern Queensland coastline.

The common pipi is currently harvested by recreational fishermen for bait, and predated upon by pied oyster eaters, rays and crabs, as well as being eaten by a wide range of local fishes as well as schools of spawning migratory fish. It's consumption in aboriginal ceremony for millenia is also well documented.

Anecdotal evidence has shown that the North Stradbroke Island population of pipis reached a peak in app 2003, the reason for which is unknown. These numbers had not been previously seen in the repondants memory with over 30 years experience on the island.

Being a filter feeder pipis are susceptable to absorbing various toxins making them a potential hazard to humans if consumed, with New South Wales fisheries having banned the eating of them.

Naturally high mortalities and a susceptability to high fresh water flows leaves them open to large swings in numbers. Mass mortalities have been observed in South Australia under a number of circumstances such as flooding and prolonged periods of warm calm weather. With global warming an increasing influence on our weather extremes like the above may well become the norm.

In NSW the Stockton beach pipi fishery has collapsed to less than 15% of its previous volumes and South Australian fisheries has been forced to introduce quotas for Goolwa cockles (pipi) following widespread concern about the future of stocks. A November 2000 report by ABC Landline contained information that "a cockle fishery in Florida fished out all its stocks with in a season when it introduced mechanical harvesting. Legend has it those stocks never returned" showing how delicate some pipi populations may be.

The Pied Oystercatcher although considered Federally to be 'secure' is listed as 'vulnerable' in NSW. This somewhat shy bird is heavily dependant on pipis as a food source, so much so that it carries th name pipi or eugarie bird in some areas. An Autralian Museum fact sheet quotes "Pied Oystercatchers have probably declined throughout much of their range and the current population may be as low as 10,000" "The distribution and abundance of oystercatchers was correlated with several variables including the density and length of Pipis...." suggesting a reduction in the number of pipis could negatively impact this vulnerable species.

Migratory fish species going or returning from spawning areas move into gutters and feed upon pipis in what is otherwise a very barren habitat. Tailor, bream, whiting, flathead and tarwhine are just a few of the fish which consume pipis at these times.

Pipis have been traditionally gathered by the local Quandamooka people for thousands of years as can be witnessed by their ancient middens. Today the pipi is still gathered and used by the traditional owners and custodians for traditional purposes which could be impeded should harvesting reduce their numbers. As such I would believe it is unlikely that ALL of the traditional stake holders been informed and given their consent for such a fishery to take place.

To grant these permits could potentially not only put the pipi population of south east queensland in jeopardy but also

damage the tourism potential of some areas

effect local fishers

damage the pied oystereater population

put at risk the breeding potential of a number bread and butter fish species.

damage the sacred practices of traditional owners and custodians

Without supporting research to establish stocks and sustainable yeilds it could only be considered questionable and unprofessional practice to grant such permits.

Yours Sincerely,

SIGN HERE

Name

Adress

Phone

Sources - some duplication may occur

NSW fisheries

SA fisheries

Australian Broadcasting Corporation

NSW Fisheries Research Institute

austmus.gov.au

sa.gov.au

abc.net.au

archaeology.arts.uwa.edu.au

Grants Guide to Fishes

Qld DPI

publish.csiro.au

Source of quoted "" examples from above in order,

abc.net.au/landline/stories/s215261.htm

austmus.gov.au/factsheets/pied_oystercatcher.htm

publish.csiro.au/paper/MU01053

That looks good Waldo

I have passed this info on to:

Joanne Miller - local parliament minister

I have asked her to reply with the best course of action. I don't know if there is enough time to start an e-petition.

Jason Plant - Marine Qld

I have asked him to have a look at the submission and make any amendments.

He will pass it on to the media section.

Phil Hammond - Courier Mail.

I have left a message for him to contact me.

I have also contacted Dave Downie.

Hopefully I will hear back from everyone today and we can let more people know what is going on.

Will let you all know how I went.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't got a few more hits.

I thought this topic would be a hot one for us.

Perhaps we can get this thread a little more exposure?

"Waldo" has done a top job on this, and I think a little more weight thrown behind this could really cause a rethink.

or................ we all realize they are just politicians, and will do whatever it takes to make $$$/jobs (even if only sustainable for their term in parliment)???

Archived