straddie holiday

James W

well.......my first trip to straddie didnt go to plan as i would have liked!...upon arrival i was ponting to all these \"fishy\" looking places all the the way to the unit(which was a flasj cardboard box:( ).......the island looked like fishing heaven.....didnt get to wet a lione till the follwing morning...got to amity jetty about 4.30am and flicked out a lumo squid jig hoping to bring some calamari home for breakfast.....didnt even see one!...within the 1/2 hour i was there there were kids there all using squid jigs...i asked them if they have been getting any and they all said \"yeah yesterday we got huge ones\".....one day late hey?:( .....so the sun was up and i was thowing all sorts of slugs and poppers out to the horizon hoping for one of these macks or trevs that i hear are around this jetty.....nothing:unsure: ......soft plastics of all sizes and styles were being peppered all over the place....one hit from a finicky pike!......then a guy turned up after all the kid squid brigade left, he threw out a whole mullet with little lead and we were having a chat about straddie as it was his first time here too.....then jaws well,thats what we called it, proceded in taking his mullet for a quick trip to the mainland.....the first action i saw in a good couple of hours, but jawes won that battle....he lost another beasty again after that.....all i had was lures so i left for the craphole oh i mean the unit to get some breakky........i didnt get to return to the jetty due to the nice 25-30 kts winds...oh how i love holidays!:( ....so the only fishing i managed to get in after that was with my light surf rod and some live worms opff home beach....fished here the 2 next mornings for 4 legal whiting a tarwine , 1 small bream and 1093838739 dart...well it felt like i caught that many dart..they were everywhere!...they saved my holiday thou......we were that unipressed by the accommadation that we are now sitting at home 4 days early....would love to fish straddie again maybe when the winds from hell go away.......itsd good to be home! the creek is calling....cyas! [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/straddie.JPG

post-180-144598402634_thumb.jpg

At least you caught some fish mate, it sucks when you go away on hols and get skunked.

I wen't to Townsville over easter and we had all these big plans for going out in the boat to the local reefs and trekking inland up north for Junglies, but the weather was so bad we could only fish for cod in the marina lol. The little cod saved a fishless trip though:)

Archived