North Stradbroke

waldo

Just the short version

Had a few days on straddie and thought I could give the fotm a bit of a shake if I got some fair weather. Got a good first night in on main beach and after several gutter hops finally found one where we could lose a bait.

We spread out over a few hundred metres and I finally got some serious tailor bites that I dropped quickly. Cool, herded the mates to where I was fishing and they started pulling the odd stray in to 60cm. I hooked and dropped a few more good fish while they continued to land another odd one here and there.

Then it hit, didn't seem that big to start but once it realised it was hooked it made it clear that this was a 5kg + fish. His runs and dogging were fun and I had him within two rod lengths of the beach when the line broke :ohmy: (bleep) Rerigged and got back into hooking up to another good but significantly smaller which was coming up with the wash as the hook pulled. (bleep bleep) Next cast and the bait gets smacked as it hits the water, and I skull dragged what would be my only fish for the night, a 50cm tailor.

Grand total beteeen the 3 of us was 8 tailor and a bream

I almost never get annoyed or frustrated when I am fishing but on this occasion I went off twice big time. I hooked, played and lost 8 fish before landing my one and only for the night. I have never had anything close to that happen before and normally would be very surprised at 2 and wondering what I was doing wrong at 3.

The fotm thing is only a fun thing for me. There are very few pics of me holding a fish and certainly none in the public arena so I was trying just for laughs.

I really enjoyed the trip but the ordinary luck I had in several areas makes me think I crossed a blak cats path, walked under several ladders and spilled a truck load of salt. That was after doing a good deed that I expected would have been worht mucho good karma :S such is life :laugh: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/afotailor.jpg

post-2225-144598471033_thumb.jpg

I'm happy eating their smaller bay bretheren but I always go light on the big surf fish because I don't like more than about one meal of them evey now an then. One of the guys I was fishing with loves em and the other has a dad the same and I got my meal in lunch time Saturday, so nothing will be wasted.

Archived