The Whitsundays

obone

Hey all.

Heading to the Whitsundays for about 10 days on Friday, and was just wanting to get some info from anyone that’s had a fish around these islands. We’re picking up a boat from Airlie Beach and sailing to Hamilton Is, then all around the place. We’re going to troll lures around whenever we’re moving pretty much I think. Any hints/tips?

I’ve been told that most of the areas that you moor up at overnight are protected zones?

Any particularly good Islands/spots to find a few decent fish?

Cheers everyone

Joel ;)

Dodgey google earth clip of the area:

ScreenHunter_01Sep151629.gif

did a similar trip early this year.

We did not do anygood on the Troll but I would still troll everywhere.

There are plenty of places to fish and anchor outside the Green Zones.

Take a few kg's of frozen Squid, the fish went nuts for it. Plenty of Hooks and plenty of small sinkers as most of the anchorages are less than 10m deep and out of the ripping current.

Cant really remember what islands we fished.

I know we did well on the inside of White Heaven Beach island if that makes sense.

There are plenty of Sweeties to be caught

It takes the fun outta it but use big leader.. as reef is sharp as.. also if one of ur fish swims u into the reef.. dont break it off, just start the waiting game and the fish wil swim out of the reef in no time, then its game on again. :woohoo: went there in august gone and november last year with planetfonz.. got another 7 nights comming up this november. its so addictive. :silly:

Planetfonz took this pic of me throwing popers at nari's beach back in august.

damn that was a good morning - best weather i've seen up there so far

also troll thru the gap between the 2 largest islands, hook and whitsunday. its called hook passage.. massive current flow (important that u dont mess up your timing here as the standing waves can get to 3 metres during the wrong conditions) all squeezed into about a 200-300m gap! whirlpools, crazy eddys, some weird old observatory and the best damn reef along the edges...

even when we'de anchored, a soft plastic dropped over the side to the bottom and left alone would get bites as quickly as bait would. got quite a few fish like this altho none were big. i had 4" tt snapbacks and nitris went thru a packet of 2 or 3inch pumpkinseed gulps doing this...

ps in regarding squid, be sure to pack a squid jig, i got a monster under the jetty at south molle island. 1 of the 20 or so that we saw there. just don't fish off the jetty.

also last trip while we were fishing late one night a squid actually landed in the boat. worked out quite well for us. hello bait. a light dangled over the side brings good things from far and wide

goat_man_baa wrote:

Look forward to the report as i have a trip booked over new years. If it's possible we want to take one of our boats to tow with us so we can shoot around the islands for some serious fishing and maybe even out to the main reef one day.

I have found 100 magic miles to be an awesome book for planning the trip

the charterers will say no way to an additional tow along tinny/boat.. but in saying that they have no idea what goes on when you're out of sight.. so just get someone to drive the tinny out and meet u once your briefing person has left the boat and you go out of the harbour.. easy peasy

dont mean to be a downer but I am glad I didnt take my boat up as a tender.

Yes it would have been nice with a sounder and chartplotter but we went throgh some ordinary weather towing the tender the hire mob supplied. In a word the tender copped a flogging, glad it wasnt my boat dangling out the back on a string

Archived