Northern NSW rock hopping 26/09

benno573

hi all,

i received an invite from sparksie to head down to northern nsw to meet up with him and his young fella to do a bit of rock fishing. i headed down at 5am (the tugun bypass makes it so easy!) and met sparksie at broken head. weather was ok, wind steadily increased through the morning and was dam cold when you got wet!

fishing wise, when i arrived, sparksie had opened his account with a healthy bream of 33cm. i soon added my own 32cm model to the bag. not long after this, i hooked the 7:20 express from central. this fish peeled about 100m of 15lb line off my reel, the mojiko mj5000 stood up to the challenge again. this was a serious fish! :woohoo: about 5 min later, i had a aussie salmon of about 70cm :ohmy: at the base of the rocks. unfortunately, as soon as i went for a lift, the 20lb leader popper and the bugger won his freedom ahead of time! :unsure: would have been good to land but at least i got to see what it was! wind was picking up and i landed a small cat shark, and a high 20's bream.

after this the fishing went a bit quiet so i decided to go and drop in on maxi and dusky to see the good ship promax66 which is an awesome looking bit of gear! strangley enough, had a tooheys new while i was there...

then met up with sparksie again and headed to ballina. watched the surf rescue chopper plucking people out of the water, could see a lot of smoke on the horizon, looked to me as if the boat had caught fire... :dry: fished the breakwall at the mouth for undersized bream and not a lot else.

then we decided to head up to cabarita for the dusk session. got down onto the rocks, the pressure was on to get the young fella a fish coz up to this stage he was on a doughnut! i landed 3 nice bream in the high 20's, donated to the chateau del le sparksie to feed the waiting masses! with about 5 min to go before it got too dark, the young fella was on at last! he did very well to get it up the rocks, and was stoked to get a bream at about 27cm.

total catch of keepers for the day was 7 bream. couldn't find a tailor to save myself! will definately be going with a slightly heavier leader next time when the salmon are around!

cheers for reading

benno

p.s. - sparksie has some photos on his phone, unfortunately at 5am my brain didn't think about camera... :blush:

G'day

Other title here could be Northern NSW Road Trip. :laugh:

Trip for me was an overnighter stay at Suffolk Park with the young fella. Day 1 (Thursday 25th) we fished at Tweed River rockwall to get out of damn southerlies. 24cm bream and a 25 cm flathead all that came out of water, then returned. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00177_AFO.jpg

post-1708-144598473709_thumb.jpg

No rent a crowd here!

:lol:

Couple and their son wandering past just as Benno was tussling with the salmon!!

Was a good fish, nice thick fella.

Just got it out of the water for us to admire for half a second and the rest is history...

Gave some real stick and got the adrenalin flowing for Benno! :woohoo: [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00180_AFO.jpg

post-1708-144598473715_thumb.jpg

After Broken Head, went back and packed up tent and headed south to Ballina.

Met Dusky and Maxi from North Coast Fishing. Was great to meet them.

I also had a look at the Promax66. Oh yeah, nice.:cheer: Very nice...

Lunch and refreshing drink down at the rockwall.

Ballina didn't see lots of action.

Last stop on day 2 of trip saw us back on the road to Cabarita.

As it is....the last hour or so, resulted in a few more fish...

Sense of relief, that finally, young Mark caught a keeper, and in just the last half hour of fishing.

Picture below, with young fella, is probably a $180 Bream but I really don't do a cost/benefit analysis on 2 days of fun and fishing. Can't put a price on father and son time together...

Benno, thanks for coming down.;)

I think I achieved everything the AFO site is all about on day 2 of Northern NSW "road trip".

Fun, fishing, good times and good company. Thanks mate. :)

Have to skip down to Cabarita again to chase up those Tailor! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00181_AFO.jpg

post-1708-144598473722_thumb.jpg

pity about the fish guys... that'll teach ya benno to come fish down here undergunned ...lol lol lol lol...

was fantastic to see ben again but i bet theres plenty that would disagree with me hahahaha

absolute pleasure to meet spaksie and his young fella mark, glad to hear you didnt donut mark..

you blokes are will always find the fridge open here.. hehehhahaaheheheee.....

hey elli, it didnt rain on them lol lol

the wind dropped from about 11am to be less than 5 knots when fishing off cabarita, and elli, not a drop of rain was seen!:P was a perfect dusk and if i wasn't already stuffed i would have stayed a few more hours! not sure what mrs sparksie would have thought of that though so probably best to head home when we did... ;) glen, thanks for lunch mate and the company, will have to do it all again soon!

course i did mate.. a much smaller one though! i didn't have to carry your dam overhead rig though, that save a hellovalotta weight! and the mountain goating was a lot easier than DIP mate, broken head was a non-issue altogether and cabarita isn't that bad! well, maybe it is for you olf fellas... :P

maxi wrote:

pity about the fish guys... that'll teach ya benno to come fish down here undergunned ...lol lol lol lol...

was fantastic to see ben again but i bet theres plenty that would disagree with me hahahaha

absolute pleasure to meet spaksie and his young fella mark, glad to hear you didnt donut mark..

you blokes are will always find the fridge open here.. hehehhahaaheheheee.....

hey elli, it didnt rain on them lol lol

hey maxi, you make a good point there... and there too! next time i will have my surf rod back which is currently in the care of tacklebox and kreel for their trip down to evans head, here was me thinking i didn't neeed it! :pinch: will NOT be undergunned next time!

Archived