Torres Straits fishing

AZZA

Hi Guys, Well I have got through the first week of my two week trip around the Torres Straits. Has been a whirl wind trip with lots of work and not to much fishing but I got to fish for Barra at dawn in a dam beside the airport in Boigu Island which is just 4 klms from the new guinea coast. There was Barra boofing up in the reeds but I just couldn't tempt them out :( I did get to go and have look at the Teachers pet,a 4plus meter croc that is kept in a pen just on the edge of the village and when the king tides come the pen gos right under water and the water goes up through the town and school. :S Theres no take aways or restaurants so meals are sorted by the locals so we dined on mud crabs and t bones, you can buy big muddies here for $3 a go although turtle and dugong are the main diet.

Got to have a few cast off the jetty on Yam Island at day break only got one hit for no hook up then spent more time yarning with some local cray fisherman than fishing so will have have to get back to Yam and try again.

Sunday Morning after a night of BBQed lobster and many beers B) we were picked up by one of the guys we are working with and went for a look see at the local sights from the water in his Cruise craft 580 and then we were having a bit of a troll when we spotted some birds woking. We pulled in the mack lures and tied on a couple of slugs and headed towards the birds.

Third cast and I am on and the line is peeling off the little phflugger like there is no tomorrow so I tighten up the drag and put a nice queenie in the boat after a good fight. Over the next hour and a bit four of us boat 4 or 5 fish a peice and lose just as many using just two rods. Lost a good sized fish to a 32lb snap swivle straightning out.

Me thinks I will go for a fish off the jetty soon Me_queenfish.jpg

Archived