Nth Straddie , lots of big toothy critters....

mojo

but little else.

G'day all. sorry if this is long.

Spent the last 6 days over on straddie and gave most of my favorite spots a good workout and didn't do very good at all. wind was very unpredictable and not many decent gutters to be found.

I Caught 1 chopper tailor and 1 trevally around 40cm

but geez did I have some fun.

First morning, the rocks at point lookout I lost what felt like a huge trevally or kingfish...took off at 100 miles an hour towards new zealand and cut me off on the rocks,

( The funny part about this, after it had gone, was being told I should reel it in very fast by a couple of asian tourists...yeah right) next I had some fun with a 3ft long shovelnose and caught a couple of monster (mongrel) toadfish.

Water was pretty calm so I tried a surface popper, half an hour of casting and was just about to give up when a 2-3ft black king came up behind the lure within a foot!, unfortunately this was right near the of my retrieve and close to the rocks, I nearly fell over in shock! trembling madly I tried for another half hour but nothing.

On the way back I sat and watched fascinated at 5 BIG sharks cruising around in a few meters of water about 100 meters out from the surf club...no kidding they all looked in the 2-3 meter category and one of the old locals said the were probably whalers or tigers, I will never let my kids near that beach again. He also said some big sharks had been beaching themselves on main beach last week, chasing baitfish.

Next day I hooked upto something huge near deadmans beach just on dusk, again it was hooked close into shore in about a meter of water, fought the bugger for ages but in the end I was winding in 1 meter of line and he was taking 5 or 10 away, he ended up spooling me of 150 meters of 30lb braid and and close to 50 meters of mono backing before the trace finally gave way. Felt like a big shark, easily over 60 kg.

Had another similar hookup at the rocks a few days later which lasted all of 30 seconds, that bugger headed straight towards the surf club very close in and the line just disappeared on the rocks.

Saw quiet a few whales playing and breaching about 200 meters out and on the last day a big school of 3 ft long tuna or kingfish swam right past me, literally under my feet.

So all in all It was big hookups, good times, good sights, good company and good alcohol : )

One thing is for sure, I will be thinking long and hard before taking a dip at straddie in the future.:whistle:

Sounds like a classic Straddie report mate.

The place (and it's brother Moreton) are infested with sharks all along their east coasts (and west and north too).

I've managed to catch one about 6 foot less than 5 metres from my feet and others not much further out. All on the east coast.

You're almost guaranteed a catch anytime after 1/2 hour before dusk.

I'm with you - Straddie and Moreton are for fishing - not swimming!.

Archived