Solar Charging Electric

Ovington

Hi everyone,

I am going to invest in a decent solar panel for camping and got me thinking is it worth splashing out a little more and investing in a flexible marine grade one that I could also use to charge my leccy battery and mount it on my console. I know it wouldnt get full sun but figure i can rig it to trickle charge for those long trips I where I have no access to power. My outboard isnt big enough to charge both batteries so this is my next option

Thoughts?

Anyone done similar?

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty, don't waste your time. Electric motors draw a lot of amps very quickly, and there usually is never enough space to mount an array of solar panels big enough to replace what electric motors draw. If your outboard alternator isn't supplying enough power to charge your batteries back up from the draw your electric used, there isn't a big enough solar panel that will do any better. Don't get me wrong, a solar panel will help, but the cost, and space it uses, will be much larger than the return it gives you. Save the money and either buy bigger batteries, or more of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived