Lookin at whales

AZZA

The word has been put on me to take the out-laws whale wacthing this sunday , as they live up the sunny coast thought we might go out from Mooloolaba.

I havn't launched from there befor and was wondering if anybody had info on how wide the whales pass by Point Cartwright. Might tow around a couple of skirted lures while I'am out there might be able to put the mother in law onto a little black marlinB)

Azza,not too far out,back in the 1980`s,we used to watch them from the headlands,all along the sunny coast,from Noosa national park down past Alex Heads.

I`ve been fortunate to have been on the beaches at Coolum and Mudjimba,at various times,that they have gone by.

Unreal,we live in such a great area,these things are but an hour or two drive away.

I digress from your question here,but,one of my fav memories was watching a pod of dolphins surfing in the waves down near Hastings Pt.,NSW,they played around for about 3/4 of an hour.

cheers

also remember there is a distance that u have to turn off ur engine's when u can c them coming and ur not allowed to aproach them.. im not sure of the distance but could be 100m - 300m... there realy inquisitive and will most likely aproach u. big fines apply... B)

Nitris wrote:

also remember there is a distance that u have to turn off ur engine's when u can c them coming and ur not allowed to aproach them.. im not sure of the distance but could be 100m - 300m... there realy inquisitive and will most likely aproach u. big fines apply... B)

Does anyone know the laws surrounding this? The whale watching boats always seem to have whale 10m off the boat....Do they have a license to do so?

Just asking because you'd be pretty cut if one surfaced next to you while you where trolling and you got a fine:dry:

We see them all the time off moreton island , had them swim right under the boat and leap out out of the water not to far from the boat, was just wondering how far you needed to travel out from mooloolaba , although the forcast is better for moreton on sunday at this stage. pretty sure the law is 100 m and you can not chase after the whales we quite often see them within 50m of the boat off moreton. Gad, one of my best sessions in the surf was surfing a spot called bolders which is under the light house at cape moreton was about 6-7 foot clean and glassy , blue skies a pod of dolphins in the waves with us and a mother whale and calf playing about a hundred meters away, made you forget all about the noahas:lol:

Rules is 500m is as close as your allowed to motor, if they come closer when your pulled to, thats your good luck. Whale boats that pay the licence fees are allowed to within 100m. (Money talks, not animal safety!)

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/about_the_epa/public_reporting/epa_bulletin/epa_bulletin_archives/issue_45_july_2008/give_whales_a_wide_berth_during_the_annual_migration/

i was up there on the 14 / 10 tuesday. there were a few in fairly close, be bloody careful though, some were just under the surface, 1,2 feet if that,they were between the headland and the blinker, ring vmr at moolloolaba, they let us know where they were, and to be very, very careful, they are an awsome animal up close, but we were there to go fishing, once we passed the pod we were off to the mark

Yeh I think we may have hit one just under the surface on our way out to huchies last time , we landed very very, very hard off the back of a very small wave knoked Mal off his feet and Steve out of his seat and split the zips on the clears thought the windscreen had caved in

Archived