Way out West

Lozzel

Hi All, As most of you know I've been out in Roma for the past couple of months. Finally had some time to wet a line on a couple of week-ends. Nothing fantastic to report on, water is very dirty from the recent rains but it should clear shortly and will be good for SP's.

All the areas that I fished are stocked with Yellars and Cod so heres hoping I can get hold of something to report on shortly.

A couple of Pics of the area.

Balone River at Surat. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Surat_003__500_x_374_.jpg

Will post later when the site lets me :laugh: :laugh:

ellicat wrote:

Lozzel wrote:
I will post some more later If anyone is interested,with a bit better description etc.

Bloody oath Lozz. Always good to have a gander at new grounds to get the mind dreaming.

Like Rocket said - one with you holding a nice yella would be best though:P

I'll try and get one just for you and Rocket, ;)

Now you asked to see some more of the place, so here goes.

The Balone River at Surat above the weir is stocked with Cod & Yellars. The river ATM is low although with some local rain it is slowly rising , all be it very dirty.

If you can believe the "Locals" Cod have been caught both above & below the weir in the 10kgs + range with plenty of Yellars aswell mostly arround the 3+kgs. Mainly on baits of live shrimp, grubs and yabbies. I'll be trying both river systems over the next couple of week-ends and can report more after that.

Here are a couple more Pics of the Camping grounds at the River in Surat. Every time I've been past there are allways "Grey Nomads" parked there. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Surat_006__500_x_374_.jpg

For those who dont know where the Balone river or Surat is .. Travel west 450 Ks along the Warrego H/Way to Roma, 5ks east of Roma is a turn off to the South to Surat & St George ,Its on the Carnarvon H/way, Travel another 75 Ks and you cant miss it. Boat ramp is to your Right and the camping ground is on the Left hand side of the Bridge.

Camp ground is free for extended stays and is kept clean and tidy. Pleanty of covered tables with BBQs and bins.

Would be a great waterway for Yaks & Canoes

Mitchell : 90Ks west of Roma on the Warrego H/Way on the banks of the Maranoa River.Water is low on the upside of the weir, allthough has risen some since the recent rains after these pics were taken.

The river is stocked with Cod & Yellars also by the local stocking club and they too have provided a free camping area (48hrs) at "Fishermans rest" (5ks west).

The local council has provided free camping at the Weir for as long as you like. BBQ's and toilets are supplied but no showers.

There is a place in town called "The Artesian Spa" that for a small fee can supply a pass (daily,weekly etc) this is used by the "Grey Nomands" for their showers.

Speaking from experience it is a great place to relax and unwind ;)

Fishing from the banks you can get the usual Yellars & Cod ,not that I have as yet :(

There was an article in the local rag some weeks ago ,where a local fisherman (Photo was included) caught a 20lb+ Yellar from above the Weir. I'll try and find it when I get back and post it for yas. Or maybe I'll post a pic of the one that I'll catch :laugh:

Here are acouple of Pics of the Area. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Mitchell_028__500_x_374_.jpg

post-742-144598476466_thumb.jpg

Archived