Fish in NPD

jed the dog

Hey all, WOW! I am amazed at the quality of fish at npd.

I,ve lived in petrie for 4 years and been fishing twice at the dam for nothing at all so i gave up. But after getting on this site and seeing the pics from dinothedog i was amazed.

So any way went down on sunday with my old man to magavins for a cast with a spinner. I was casting and casting and just as i was thinking "what am i doing wrong, why am i not catching fish?", BANG a nice 40cm bass. My first ever. My old man got one to with the very next cast.

On wednsday i went down with my father in law and again. A fantastic 40cm bass. Nothing could wipe the smile off my face.

It had a tag in it and i was wondering what i should do if i catch one again, i just put the fish back.

I read all the forums and got heaps of info, i didn't want to be one of those people who ask "where do i catch fish?"

Thanks to everyone who offer info to this site, without it i would be missing out on a awesome fishery 5 minutes from my house.

Chris

(p.s. Heaps of pics next time)

Welcome to the site. With tagged fish there is a nomber on the tag. If you copy it down along with the 1800 telephone number on the tag. Ring the number and give them the details they will ask for length and where caught. They will then look up the data and tell you when it was tagged and how long the fish was. They then send you a nice certificate. D Roberts a scientist at Griffith Uni has been overseeing a tagging programme at NPD for the last 2 years and it is most likely that the fish you caught would be one of these but it may be from an older tagging as i caught a tagged bass there around 5 years ago but didnt know what to do.

If you are interested maybe you may concider joining the local stocking group PRFMA who stock the NPD and are have also just commenced stocking Kurwongbah.

Cheers

Ray

Good to see your efforts rewarded! It's easy to get discouraged at NPD if you don't get one for a while, but that one fish keeps you coming back;)

Oh yeh, keep an eye out for snakes when you are out there and ticks when you get home (bass and yellas are not the only thing out there that bite!)

Rocket

Nows the time to get on a good pair of boots and start exploring the place. North Pine Dam holds a good number of hard pulling fish.

It won't take you too long to work out the good starting spots.

Don't be afraid of searching up and down the banks, and cast all over the place. Shallow and deep water both hold good fish.

Build up a good lure selection to cover all bases and you'll really start producing good numbers.

Have fun, and remember to leave some for us ;)

ive been to northpine a couple of times and not even got a nibble, ive been using a purple spinner the guy from BCF highly recomended for the dams

ive been all around the dam except at the dam wall or the conventional picnic area there (macgavens i think) and have found since the last year with the dams rising a bit all the 4-6 foot grass that was on the back on the dam is now under the water for about the 1st 10meters making it really hard to cast a small 1/2oz spinner past :angry:

personally from my experiences there i think its useless to fish there without a boat which you cant take on there without that stupid lottery ticketing system some retard thought up. like i cant even take a canoe on the dam.:angry:

i might try again 1 day at macgavens if i feel like it :dry:

Fisherjoe, no fishing boats allowed on at the moment, water to low (ramp is high and dry). The lottery has never been fully subscribed (IE if you put your name up you would have got on).

When fishing boats are allowed back on will be when the dam hits 50%. Currently sailing boats are allowed on,. their ramp still has warter at it!

Don't give up yet fisherjoe, there are fish to be had in that place.

It does take a while to find them but once you do and you start working on your technique, you'll have a blast chasing big fast moving bass that slam your lures and just about sprain your wrist if your not awake.

I fished Sunday afternoon, and in all honesty I made three casts before the rain pelted down and lightning shot across the dam. I got out real quick, but even on my first cast my lure got hit.

It can be hard work sussing these fish out,and where to find them but it's worth it when a fifty cm bass decides to test what you've got.

Stick with it mate.

Archived