Kayak Bream Comps Gold Coast

Dec

I recieved this from Shane (on www.eckfc.weebly.com)about the comp as i was trying to get an entry form and info.

"Sorry guys, just been a bit busy finalising the sponsors for the event. The entry form will available shortly and we are looking at increasing the number of participants. Looking at 80+?? that depends on the level of interest."

that was on the 17th octber

Dave

Hi guys, we are surely getting closer... we have just locked down some big sponsors to help support the growth of Kayak fishing in this country. It is sure to be a cracker and everyone is welcome no matter what make of Kayak you paddle so long as you paddle. Heaps of random prizes back up the top 10 place getters and stay tuned for an awesome random prize draw.

Cheers,

Shane

www.kft.net.au

I've said my piece on another forum so i won't go into it here, but it is true, paddle craft only.

It has annoyed some people, myself included, but it is their tournament and they make the rules. If you don't like it then don't enter, simple as that.

Hats off to them for organising such a tournament. I'm sure it takes a hell of a lot of work getting sponsors and doing up websites. I hope it goes well and the rules get relaxed after they get a few under their belt.

Feral wrote:

Oooh dissension in the ranks! I'll have to go look on akff, sure to be blood in the scuppers!

LMAO good one feral you crack me :lol: . I have nothing to say in regard to the mirage drive rule, except good luck to the organisers as this could be something very special in Australian kayak fishing.

Regards

Al

• 2 weeks later...

I poted this on the their forum:

I am absolutely horrified that you would exclude Kayak Fisherman who use Hobie Kayaks with the Mirage drive system.

I have over the past few weeks sold my Prowler 4.5 and purchased a Hobie Revolution for the pure fact that I injured my AC joint in my shoulder and cannot paddle more than a couple of km's before it starts hurting. With your rules you have taken the opportunity to compete away from me and more to the point probably 30% of the Kayak fishing Population.

Fishing is a 90% "anything can happen" type sport, there are far to many variables to take into account than to think the Mirage Drive gives that much of advantage!!??

Ban fish finders? ban fish additives on lures and bait? Ban burley'ing up? what next?

Pushing our sport to the edge of technology has to be a good thing! If a guy with a Mirage Drive wins the comp it's because he A. was a better fisherman on the day and B. was using a superior products or system. The great thing about fishing is that a guy in a tinny can take on the guy with the 6m fully worked Pro set up and still come up trumps. Why……? Cause that’s fishing!!

What this has done has segregated the Kayak Fishing Community to the "Them vs Us" mentality something that KFDU and many other people in the community have long tried to discourage because we are all just kayak fisho’s who love getting out there!

I applaud you for coming up with this concept and the sponsors getting behind this but to quote one of your sponsors mottos ………..â€That’s not livingâ€

Bryan

Enough said!

i no longer have a yak but i agree it is a croc of poo poo, lets see abt ban skeeters for the boat series or no electrics. if they reckon it was that much of a advantage why not put a handicap in with launch times? nut instead they have compromised the success of the event. how ever its there comp, there bed they can lye in it.

TerryH wrote:

Batman: they've made it clear the rules will not be changed for this competition.

Oh well, no good crying about it. Time will tell in how it affects them with regards to numbers.

In the mean time when are we going offshore? lol

Terry

No crying about it but if they don't get the feedback they will never know! Simply they are fracturing the Kayak Fishing Community when they clearly state they want to grow the sport?

Mate, free this weekend for a fish, keeeeen as a seagul on a hot chip to get out there! Let me know!!

Batty

batman wrote:

TerryH wrote:
Batman: they've made it clear the rules will not be changed for this competition.

Oh well, no good crying about it. Time will tell in how it affects them with regards to numbers.

In the mean time when are we going offshore? lol

Terry

No crying about it but if they don't get the feedback they will never know! Simply they are fracturing the Kayak Fishing Community when they clearly state they want to grow the sport?

Mate, free this weekend for a fish, keeeeen as a seagul on a hot chip to get out there! Let me know!!

Batty

Seems you may have thrown all your chips overboard Brian :woohoo: , LMAO. Sorry mate, I couldn't help myself.

al

• 1 month later...

Hi,

checked their website the other day ...

http://www.kft.net.au/

"KFT welcomes the Mirage drive to the tournament

We are happy to announce that the KFT TT Lures / Ocean Kayak Gold Coast Bream Series has now been opened up to both paddle and peddle powered kayaks. This decision has been based on feedback from both paddlers and mirage drive users who want to see the sport of kayak fishing grow and do not want to see segregation among the kayak community.

Our original decision was based on an understanding that there were a range of advantages associated with peddle powered kayaks, however many paddlers came out in support of the mirage drive users and believe that any advantage is minimal and it will still be angler skill that separates the field at these events. Peddle powered kayaks are set up with side mounted sounder and hand controlled rudder making it virtually impossible to paddle these units, thus ruling them out as a paddle option at the events.

KFT would like to thank all of you for your feedback, welcome mirage drive kayaks to the event and hope to see peddle powered kayaks among the field vying for a massive swag of quality prizes.

Cheers, the KFT Team"

thought I would let you know.

Cheers,

Steven

Good to see, I always thought it was always a weird ruling, the biggest advantage I see in a Hobbie is speed and endurance and possibly easier trolling.

Because there is no requirement that you must travel from HQ to where you want to fish in the Yak anyway, and trolling is not allowed, it pretty much negated any advantage.

IE Someone like Brian who transports his yak on his boat, could easily spend the day buzzing around from spot to spot in the cruise craft, just dropping the yak in the water when he wanted to fish.

Similarly back on the roof racks and transport between spots you want to fish.

WayneD wrote:

I've said my piece on another forum so i won't go into it here, but it is true, paddle craft only.

It has annoyed some people, myself included, but it is their tournament and they make the rules. If you don't like it then don't enter, simple as that.

Hats off to them for organising such a tournament. I'm sure it takes a hell of a lot of work getting sponsors and doing up websites. I hope it goes well and the rules get relaxed after they get a few under their belt.

Awesome point Wayne well said.

Trust me I know from experience the frustration of not being able to please everyone!

Sounds like a good event.

The only draw back in my eyes with expanding kayak events is the lack of storage and even difficulty measuring fish properly. I plan on running more AFO official Yak events so I have often pondered thesde draw backs.

In my opinion the kayak camp we ran last year was mostly sucessful as people took it for what it was, a big social event. Maybe with a community like ours thats the best way to keep it?

Angus

Archived