whats wrong with the little guys

noname

:) i was just reading a thread, and thought i would start this 1,

whats wrong with all the smaller tackle shops, hmmm.. i can't ever remember being offered coffee or tea at any of the larger stores.. doesn't really bother me.. i cant think of the last ime i just went into the shop to say g'day and have a chat in general;) :huh: i know all of the smaller shops don't have the latest and greatest gear, hell they won't even match the larger stores prices most of the time. until, you become a local or loyal customer then you will be treated like you were the only customer in the shop,:) .. if you are fishing close by, they will be happy to point you in the right direction, as most shops do at times.. i just think with times and money the way it's going, some of these smaller tackle shops have been around way before the larger models set up shops, you can buy anything from any shop, but can you sit and have a chat like mates do..

the price is forgotten, but you never forget how you were treated..

your thoughts!!!!

robbo

im with you Robbo

Tackle Warehouse, Mossops, Logan River Marine have all looked after me. The Boys are good for a chat and a laugh.

Logan River Marine in particular have been good to me. Andrew gives good prices, a few $$$ off at the till goes a long way in my book. I dont bother to compare prices with them and B#F. I would much rather support a local store that employs people who fish

I usually go to the little guys Robbo, doesn't bother me.

I find that the larger stores mostly charge the same for the basics like jigg heads,hooks, plastics and certain lures.

If you like them and if its your local then good.

BIMO it's you that makes the choices on what to buy and what your going to catch, I can find that letting stores make decisions for you can lead to disaster.

Mind you I often get a chat with the guys out at BCF at slacks creek, but my local is tackle wharehouse on old cleveland road and they usually have everything I need.

Dan

so true robbo. ive been to my local bcf & been there for a hour to get sevice & line up at the check out. & ive been to my local small takle shop got what i wanted in 5min for a extra $2 & then spent a hour chating & getting all the up dates on the local catches around the place along with some usefull info. i don't mind forking out a extra few bucks for customer service & some local knowledge by some one who knows me by name not the size of my wallet.B)

blockah wrote:

so true robbo. ive been to my local bcf & been there for a hour to get sevice & line up at the check out. & ive been to my local small takle shop got what i wanted in 5min for a extra $2 & then spent a hour chating & getting all the up dates on the local catches around the place along with some usefull info. i don't mind forking out a extra few bucks for customer service & some local knowledge by some one who knows me by name not the size of my wallet.B)
that's wot im takin bout

Use the little guys all the time.

Only big mob I use regular is anaconda Logan as they are a site sponsor. The other big blokes I buy their specials, thats about it.

If its something my locals dont have its Mo Tackle for me.

My locals are Burpengary Bait and Tackle in Uhlman Rd, and the Allround Angler at Caboolture. (Names are probably wrong, but close - familiarity breeds contempt!)

There is a camping store that sells quite a bit of fishing gear, but they dont have much of a range in the type of fishing I do, usually I just browse there.

Otherwise if I want something discounted I try Kmart or Big W.

Feral,

I'm with you on tackle shops.I am absolutely hopeless on Soft Plastics.The only thing i can catch off of them are snags. I was talking to allround angler at Caboolture

and telling him.I spoke to him for a good 30 minutes, showed him what I had soft plastic wise and had him point me in the right direction with jig heads etc and also had him give me starlos soft plastic dvd to help me on my way.Absolutely great service and no pressure to buy up big.

I had heard about the one in Uhlmann RD from a bloke from work so went in to see what the fuss was. They had 2 young blokes on who were courteous and informative. They sell fresh mullet and also sell fresh worms from a little worm farm they have at back of store. A bit more expensive for tackle than the big chains but sometimes you can't put a price on being a someone and not just a number.

Gateway at Ningi are also great for service. I try to use the tackle shops when possible but I do admit I keep an eye out for the big chains specials as I don't have a big budget to work with and if I can get a few more bits of tackle due to a special being on then I do take advantage of this.

regards

Hulk

I don't mind admitting that when shopping for fishing stuff I am looking for the cheapest price possible. I look after my own pocket before worrying about anyone elses.

I don't shop at the big chains all that much but I always have a gander at the catalogues. Most of my bargains lately have been found at Kmart and Big W, now they have some crazy pricing on some stuff in there.

Having said that though I walked into Charltons on my lunch break the other day and walked out $100 lighter as they have the better quality lures that the other guys don't stock. I didn't talk to anyone or get any service (not that I was after any) I knew what I wanted and grabbed it, same as at the other shops. Actually I was quite surprised to see how many people were in there at Friday lunchtime. Must have been about 20 customers in the shop. Good to see.

There was one customer in there and he had no idea what he was doing but the shop guy took him through every lure and SP that he would suggest for his type of fishing and how to rig and use it. Thats when experience counts. But I must admit I have seen this in the big chains also.

I'm a little on both sides here.

I do like the stuff on sale at the places like BCF or Anaconda and that is probably the only time I go there. Anaconda Logan now more though since they sponsor this site.

But my locals are Tackle Warehouse and Mossops. The blokes behind the Mossops counter are pretty nice. I've pulled up in my car there once 15minutes after they'd closed on a Saturday and they stuck their heads out the door and let me come in for a quick shop. Even still had time for a quick chat.

Archived