Left handed overheads?

adri4n

Hi guys, I'm not going to buy an overhead for game fishing anytime soon, but i was just looking at some of the overheads and noticed I couldn't find a left hand wind model. Some of you might already know that I'm a right hander but I like winding with my left (dumber hand goes round and round) while my right hand does all the rod work (esp since its stronger) while I might be able to switch just for that application I daresay I'd be more comfortable with a left hand wind. anyone know of any left hand wind models? thanks

adri4n wrote:

Hi guys, I'm not going to buy an overhead for game fishing anytime soon, but i was just looking at some of the overheads and noticed I couldn't find a left hand wind model. Some of you might already know that I'm a right hander but I like winding with my left (dumber hand goes round and round) while my right hand does all the rod work (esp since its stronger) while I might be able to switch just for that application I daresay I'd be more comfortable with a left hand wind. anyone know of any left hand wind models? thanks
if you ring bush n beach and ask for greg lamprecht, or leave your number for him to call you, i think a friend of his has a tld or similar that is left hand drive, but not 100 percent sure, it had to be played with, and think the reel actually sits backward on the rod or something along those lines..

There's probably a couple of reasons why this is so.

1. The whole philosophy of changing hands etc goes out the window as you're not casting.

2. More dexterity is needed to wind than hold. Your left hand pretty much only holds the rod and thumbs the spool when fishing offshore. The arm is used to lift the rod not the hand.

Reelchippy changed to left hand on his spinning gear for a while and said it felt better. But when he was using the same gear offshore he changed back.

i understand what you're saying ellicat, but since I started fishing I've been using left hand winds, so not sure how I'd feel with a right hand wind, I suppose I'll know when I try it out. Thanks for the tip about ebay uk, just wondering if you know what models come in a left hand wind? thanks

generally speaking ofshore will mean bigger stronger fish needing both hands on the rod and a lot more winding its comon to need to retrive in a hundred meters of water at the start of the day its no worries by the end its like hard work :) if you want to see what i mean my 2 shark reels need refilling with 800m on each would you like to fill them up for me it takes ages lol

Theoretically the big reels where you guide the line yourself should only need a couple of small parts replaced so you could turn the reel around.(basically so the antireverse functioned correctly.)

Problem being you would probably need to find a good toolmaker to make the parts for you!

Archived