Help with choosing a combo.

Dano

Hi Guys,

I got the latest BCF Catalogue in the mail yesterday and as I have been on the lookout for a new rod / reel combo this one has caught my eye.

I have very little experience when it comes to rods and reels as I have done most of my fishing on the beach at straddie with the same alvey reel and surf rod I got for my 10th birthday.

The only egg beaters I have had have been the $25 cheapies and tend to last a year or so...

Over the summer I plan to do quite a bit of fishing from the shore of the Brisbane river and hopefully hook into a few of the little river sharks and there should be a few trips to the Logan river fishing marks rocks for Jew too.

Would this be a decent choice for an all rounder and be able to handle those little sharks too?

0ce0780a8d.jpg

One thing I dont have is alot of money to spend so I will have to take the good with the bad and dont really have the luxury of having a nice light rod for targeting small stuff and a heavier rod for the sharks.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

My dad and i fish Straddy a lot with gear very similar to that combo. We use 8lb braid and up to 10lb leader and fish plastics a lot around deadmans and frechmans beaches.

Typical target species include:

Bream

Flathead

Whiting

Dart

But other cool species have also been caught land based including:

Squire

Spangled Emperor

Golden Trevally

Yellow Tail Kingfish

In a nutshell. Yes that should serve you well as long as you wash and oil after a few sessions. Sea spray is death to little spinnning reels if they are not maintained.

Angus

Angus wrote:

My dad and i fish Straddy a lot with gear very similar to that combo. We use 8lb braid and up to 10lb leader and fish plastics a lot around deadmans and frechmans beaches.

Typical target species include:

Bream

Flathead

Whiting

Dart

But other cool species have also been caught land based including:

Squire

Spangled Emperor

Golden Trevally

Yellow Tail Kingfish

In a nutshell. Yes that should serve you well as long as you wash and oil after a few sessions. Sea spray is death to little spinnning reels if they are not maintained.

Angus

angus doesn't use 10 lb leader anymore, because i got his 10 lb leader hooh, hooh.:P

Archived