Couple of questions about respooling reels

adri4n

Now I've searched through the forum but still have some unanswered questions about respooling my reels.

1. Is there a quick way to get the old line of the reel? i.e. an old line with mono and you want to put some braid on.

2. I understand that I can use a spare spool to guage the amount of backing needed, but how can I do that with a baitcasting reel?

3. apart from guestimation is there a better way of putting on braid + backing without wasting of the braid?

Looking forward to hearing some tips from the old pros.

Good questions.

As for getting the old line off a spool, a cordless drill is your friend here. Keep your empty line spools, then glue a bit of dowel into it, place in chuck of drill, tie on old line, loosen drag & peel the old line away.

As for the other two, I have no idea, but the fellas at the tackle shop did :)

wind on your braid, at the end of the spool, tie on backing and fill reel spool. Then unwind and cut at the knot joining the two lines, carefully unwinding the rest of the braid. Tie on the length of backing, wind it onto the reel spool, join it to the braid and wind it all on to have a full spool of braid and backing.

So basically, wind on braid, backing to fill spool. Unwind backing, cut, unwind braid. Wind on backing, tie to braid and you have a full spool!

No doubt you already know, but make sure you have some pressure when spooling your line as well.

Personally i don't think a couple of mm at the spool on an eggbeater makes that much difference. Could just be my casting skill (or lack of) but line class, wind, lure weight, knots etc make way more difference.

If you spool too much line on, you get a lot of wind knots. Found that out the hard way, which weakens line, frustrates you no end and keeps your lure out of the water.

Hope this helps

Archived