Releasing Inpoundment barra Best Practice?

rayke1938

There has been a fair bit of discussion in another thread about the correct way to handle barra prior to release.

Rather than continue to clutter up the other thread i thought that the subject is important enough to justify its own thread.

I have seen photos of an excellent idea where people have modified their brag mats to form a sling so that the fish can be lifted into the boat supported all along its body and still be measured and weighed. More info on that would be handy

Eric Grell gave it a bit of a mention at a seminar that I went to at Fishhead but I was wondering if someone has access to information including photos that they could post on this thread for everyones information.

I am also going to contact DPI and make a suggestion that a sign be placed at ramps at popular spots for angler information.

Cheers

Ray

Maybe you should make and market those fish slings mate!!

Could be a good money spinner!!

I can't find any to buy on the net!!

Iv'e always had the same idea, might make one for the new Bass boat!!

Can ya put up a pic of the ones you have seen mate??

Cheers.

Mate I have done alot of research on the release rate of barra and have been working with a few people and over 5 yearsand finally have produced a few mats that should hit the shelves sometime next year they work well and have no discomfort to the fish, I have had one for a while an if your a avid C&R bloke you done need to bring him onboard for a measurement and the site the pictures is on is sweetwater.com.au for those interested.

Cheers

Yep I know Trev, I got talking to a few fellas from NSW fisheries and they want them for research with the cod too. Also J.M has his at Awoonga so it should be good for his guiding there.

I would'nt call it spruking just love to see people catch fish and love it even more when they can swim away. and for those with a physical problem need not worry about busting themselves to get the fish onboard to get measurement etc.

In the other thread it got a little out of hand but I am sure we all know its a discussion and there's no mallice or grudge here just a simple rant nothing more.

TT I haven't seen the sling you talk about but I can imagin the op's of it. Good work and congrates. Maybe you could talk with Angus and John about stocking it in the AFO shop.

I would suggest you could get pre ssupply orders of at least 20. I will have one to start.

Does it come with a free lure?:woohoo:

Ive seen the sling mat, well done TT, a step forward that eliminates the un-natural strain placed on a big barra by anglers wanting to remove it from its watery supporting enviroment.

If you are looking to release your fish the best way, heavier gear and shorter fight times greatly reduces the stress placed on the big girls, they pull hard enough with out trying to knock them over on light gear.

There was another query as to whether it is recommended to take or remove all large fish because they eat the barra fingerlings.

Ive attached a couple of pics from the MASA display at Monduran from the week end run up.

I dunno.

Anyway, the MASA signage states that quote "Barramundi will canabilize one aother even when they are 50mm fingerlings". un-quote

This is correct. Bass, pelicans, shags, cormorants, eagles, eels and catfish will also eat the fingerlings.

The signage also states that quote "MASA encourages anglers to take home their legal size (58cm) barramundi remembering bag limits or alternativly anglers can donate their un-wanted live barramundi back to MASA by placing them in a permanently moored holding cage located directly across from the concrete boat ramp" un-quote

These fish are held and purged, then donated to the local Meals on Wheels.

There is no mention of removing all large fish caught from the system because they eat all the fingerlings.

If anyone would like a picture of the curent signage as installed by MASA at the fish display, just let me know your email, and I will be happy to send it to you.

BR65 wrote:

I dunno.

Anyway, the MASA signage states that quote "Barramundi will canabilize one aother even when they are 50mm fingerlings". un-quote

This is correct. Bass, pelicans, shags, cormorants, eagles, eels and catfish will also eat the fingerlings.

The signage also states that quote "MASA encourages anglers to take home their legal size (58cm) barramundi remembering bag limits or alternativly anglers can donate their un-wanted live barramundi back to MASA by placing them in a permanently moored holding cage located directly across from the concrete boat ramp" un-quote

There is no mention of removing all large fish caught from the system because they eat all the fingerlings.

If anyone would like a picture of the curent signage as installed by MASA at the fish display, just let me know your email, and I will be happy to send it to you.

Think you will find that the signage is a bit out of date. No Moored holding cage, and don't think many anglers have sufficiently large enough livewell to safely/humanely transport those bigger fish.

Regards

Trev

Mylestom wrote:

BR65 wrote:
I dunno.

Think you will find that the signage is a bit out of date. No Moored holding cage, and don't think many anglers have sufficiently large enough livewell to safely/humanely transport those bigger fish.

Regards

Trev

Agree Trev, just to let all know, because several posts have been deleted else where, there has been a difference of opinion on what the signage stated about the controlling bodies recommended culling of large fish because they eat fingerlings - this was supposedly advocated on the signage in the fish display shed. Have a look in the reports section, most of the banter is still there.

I felt it was the right thing to do to quote the whole paragraph on the signage, rather than pick and choose what I wanted others to see.

kriso wrote:

i think this is leading more towards "i was right" sorta thread instead of consentraiting on the subject at hand on ways to succesfully release large barra like the posts before the masa story again.

Nope, that would be going on about something ad nauseum, and posts are deleted for that.

Heres a few thoughts on good release:

Heavy gear equates to shorter fight times, means less stress to a fish and better survival chances.

Not every fish that is caught has to be measured and photo'd. A medium fish of a size that you have caught before can be de-hooked and released quite quickly with out lifting it from the water.

Knotless landing nets minimize, but dont eliminate, slime,scale and fin damage.

Never lift an impoundment fish by the mouth with a set of grippers, sheer body mass will cause fatal damage. Support the fish with 2 arms.

Have your camera ready to go, minimize time out of the water.

Carry a piece of folded shade cloth in the boat, wet it down and lay the fish on it for a pic. Hot dry carpet will burn a fish.

Remember you are dealing with a large, cranky animal, so keep fingers well away from thrashing heads with lures hanging out, or you will be the one being de-hooked!

Release or keep, its your choice, respect the bag and size limits, and make sure your SIP is current.

Respect your fellow anglers on the water. Slow down when you pass some one else, keep as far away as you can from some one fishing a bank, point or other structure. They have probably slipped in under elec power, nice and quiet, the last thing they want is a noisey tinny bashing and clanging away close by.

Enjoy the great fishery we have at our door step.

Not wishing to prolong anything but I am to blame for other members saying that MSA wish to remove over 1m fish .

I had read the Ausfish post that I quoted before we went there and i don't know where the 1m figure emerged. On closer reading of the post I realise that I misquoted. Here is the relevant part of the post.

"If it's the local stocking groups wish that very large barra are removed then that deserves some consideration as they are the ones with a stocking plan for that fishery "

Big word IF and I missed it and apologize.

Fully support everything else you say.

Kinda off topic but see vent your anger thread brians comments brought it all back.

Cheers

Ray

To those who have fished for barra at the dams in queensland the one thing that seems to be overlooked EDUCATION! Wether you catch and release for the sport of it, or you take a feed home for the family or a mate,at a guess 60% of the fisho's that head to these dams are doing it once or twice a year,20% never before and the other are avid return anglers that are experianced. have you ever walked into masa or the kiosk or the camp kitchens available at the dams around the state and seen a how too guide on how to bleed out a fish if you choose to keep it or how to release a fish with minamal dammge, Nope there non exsistant.:angry: We pay our sip and our regos which have just gone up, we see money get thrown around by companies with thier flyers on thier products but a a3 size poster on kiosk walls camp kitchens, tackle shops, and masa the idea is out and those who do see it and take the time to read it will be one step closer to understanding what most of us already know. They are a Australian Ikon Sportfish and a precious resorce for places like Gn Gin, Benaraby, Camp Kanga etc

And last but not least and a final scenario look at Callide many fished it when the big fish where there now not so many due to the kill but bet you last dollar as soon as the metre fish return they will be back as people love to catch BIG fish...

So yes if you release fish the chances are they will get bigger and what ever anyone say fingerling survial rate is poor regardless of big barra or not, for exsample if you released 70 000 fry around 15 to 20 000 surive, so to that one a barra will eat a baby barra seldom far to many boney's and gar and compared to that of birds temprature change and a whole lot of other varibles that they are exposed too.

Anyhow cheers TT

Archived