Mary River Cod

shayned

Late last week the folks from Gerry Cooke Hatchery/DPI gave us a call to let us know they had extra Mary River Cod fingerlings available from the Cod Recovery Program.

As a result Lake Kurwongbah got it's first stocking of Cod, only 500, but it is a small impoundment.

As most people here know the boating access scheme for Lake Samsonvale has been inactive for a couple of years due to low water levels. The funds raised from this scheme provide the money to stock Lake Samsonvale, as a result no new stocking has occured for a couple of years.

Fortunately Gerry Cooke Hatchery was able to supply 5000 cod fingerlings to go into this lake. Due to the relatively expensive nature of these fish and our desire to see maximum survival rates it was important to spread the fingerlings out as far as possible.

As we couldn't launch our own boats a last minute call was put in with guys from SEQ Water. On very short notice the head ranger Lew was able to find an hour to assist with the ranger boat. With his help the fish were placed into good structure in a number of areas around the lake thereby helping to ensure maximum survival for this endangered fish species.

I also believe Somerset/Wivenhoe recieved a large number of these fingerlings for release as well.

I will try to load some photos later.

rippa! so now Kurwongbah has been stocked with what...? is it bass, cod and toga? what a great little project. hopefully when the boating comes back on line at NPD there will be more stocking funds to keep it going...I know I'll be putting my hand up to pay for access if and when it's available.

Keep up the good work fellas.

Rocket

Archived