Canning River

jimjim

Hi people been a member for a while just dont be able to find time to get add posts and pics. But sometimes you just gotta make time.

Had a recent trip to Perth for 6 day family holiday totaly unplanned fishing of course according to the trouble and strife. Managed to get in 4 days worth of fishing much to her disgust :angry:

As per usual with everything unplanned i didnt take any fishing gear with me, so i borrowed the father inlaws shimano 4000 outfit and a very basic tackle box with nothing in it except a couple of whiting hooks and sinkers. His tackle box is now overloaded with all sorts of goodies thanks to me:woohoo:

One of the days went fishing in the Canning River which flows into the Swan had a hot little session in 45mins landed 18 black bream on dirty old prawns tryed a couple of diffrent hard body lures and sqidgys but got better results on dead prawns.

Also went up the coast to Mandurah the usual suspect caught to many blowies god i hate BLOW FISH. couple a nice flatties that went over 65cm.

Fished up and down the coast of Perth very suprising for the people that havent fished over there before that how pristine both fresh and salt water systems are.

I live near Kookabura Park and put the boat in 2 to 3 times a week on weekdays as i work afternoons. I put in about 8am and leave about 1130am. AFO members welcome as there always one spare seat. Will keep you posted the night before i go.

Cheers

Jamie

Only the very occasional seems to be getting harder and harder suppousedly there is a pro fisher around Goodna boat ramp using set lines, which probaly explains why they are getting harder to get. Also the water quality after the heavy rains still very dirty needs to return to its more brackish colour.

Last Wednesday 3.9kg bully on 3 inch mullet.

What i have found best is either 3 inch or 4 inch

mullet any bigger and that reduces the risk of a fish or not. Had better results on mullet rather than bony bream or sand pike.

Best to date in that area is 17kg bully not far from kooka boat ramp 6kg bait caster out fit 20lb braid 30lb wire leader 3inch mullet. A few threadies on the go being young they a nice silver sheen to them.

Cheer Jamie

jimjim wrote:

Only the very occasional seems to be getting harder and harder suppousedly there is a pro fisher around Goodna boat ramp using set lines, which probaly explains why they are getting harder to get. Also the water quality after the heavy rains still very dirty needs to return to its more brackish colour.

Last Wednesday 3.9kg bully on 3 inch mullet.

What i have found best is either 3 inch or 4 inch

mullet any bigger and that reduces the risk of a fish or not. Had better results on mullet rather than bony bream or sand pike.

Best to date in that area is 17kg bully not far from kooka boat ramp 6kg bait caster out fit 20lb braid 30lb wire leader 3inch mullet. A few threadies on the go being young they a nice silver sheen to them.

Cheer Jamie

Jamie their great stats .. were you or stream or down stream of the ramp?

down stream about 30 meters past the red marker that was there before the flood water went through, run out tide. the water channels in there so they all have to swim through it. 17kg took for ever to land swam around anchor rope a few very tense moments but let go to fight another day. Mate you will have better results hooking your mullet through the lips rather than through the back.

Cheers Jamie

Archived