Simon Harmon - World Record Tiger Shark?

Line Tangler Dave

Hi Simon,

I heard from a friend who heard from someone else (yes a rumor:) ) that you or James may have caught a tiger shark that could be a world record. Is this true? And if it is, could you tell us all about the shark you got mate. Don't know how reliable my source is, but knowing the sharks you guys catch I thought it would probably be correct. Cheers, Fisher_191

G’day Fisher_191,

This is not true. The world record for a Tiger shark is drawn at 807.4kg. One fish was caught by Walter Maxwell off Cherry Grove South Carolina USA on 14 June 1964, and the other by Australian fisherman Kevin Clapson, which weighed 810kg.

Though Clapson’s fish was larger, it failed to exceed maxwells record by 1% (a requirement of the IGFA) and the record is therefore tied.

From memory, I think maxwells fish was 13.5ft and Clapsons fish was 15ft. The largest Tiger we have landed was 13.6ft.

Cheers mate,

Simmo

Gday Simon,

Thanks for your reply. They probably just heard a rumor themselves and passed it on, and I'm guessing it would be because your tiger shark (13.6) is actually bigger than the 1964 world record shark you mention (13.5m).

Your sharks are so large anyway it will probably only be a matter of time before you guys do beat the record as you are so close to it now, so we all look forward to that.

Regards, Fisher_191

Archived