Project Rods

Sylvathorn

13 hours ago, Andrew_P said:

Nice work @Sylvathorn! It takes a certain type of person to rescue rods in that condition!

Restorations and rebuilds are like renovations - you pay to pull it apart and to put it back together!

Give me a new blank and guides any day. 

very true Andrew_P, the cleaning up can take a lot of time, sometimes more than the build itself.
I've already spent a couple of hours cleaning up on the Sabiki rod ... but then again Margie's rod shouldn't take much time cleaning up at all.
Also there is a huge satisfaction in restoring an old rod, especially if you consider it a classic, to what it once was and hopefully could be again!

Edited by Sylvathorn
some text seems to have dropped out???

8 minutes ago, Sylvathorn said:

very true Andrew_P, the cleaning up can take a lot of time, sometimes more than the build itself.
I've already spent a couple of hours cleaning up on the Sabiki rod ... but then again Margie's rod shouldn't take much time cleaning up at all.
Also there is a huge satisfaction in restoring an old rod, especially if you consider it a classic, to what it once was and hopefully could be again!

Like that old Jarvis Walker Shoalhaven .... I'll post again when I have finished the wooden butt 🙂

nice work Ed.,

I used to do the same thing, hand roll the thread, then hand roll while the varnish dried (while watching TV).
Nowadays I use a power dryer, but still roll the rod by hand doing wraps, prefer it that way - I'm a dinosaur I guess 🙂 - I don't even use the thread tensioner, I prefer the feel tensioning by hand, although that gets a bit difficult when tensioning three threads at the same time when doing Tiger Wraps.

• 1 month later...
On 28/04/2023 at 12:37 PM, Ed. said:

Many decades ago when I started building my own rods, I used to do some rod binding patterns, now as age has crept up on me and very occasionally I build a new rod, I just put a base of thread down, put a fish sticker (from Rodworks in S.A) over it and after colour fastness, just epoxy the lot. Gives me something to look at (or wish for) and takes only minutes versus the hours spent threading in a pattern, not to mention, I don't have the dexterity in my fingers or patience to do that any more. 

As an example, the light weight Ugly Stick, that's the one with the pattern, I did resting it between the arms of a couch chair (no lathe then, twirl, twirl and twirl), the colour has faded quite a bit since it is about 45+ years old and on it's 3rd set of guides, and the rod with the fish image in the last 6-8 years, no prizes for guessing which is my preferred way of doing things now😃. Only gripe nowadays is that I can't source Hyperlon, makes the rod a bit heavier but doesn't get subject to dents and the grip feels better in my hand.

fish 1.jpg

fish 2.jpg

@Ed. I use EVA nowadays, try to get the 70%, as the 90% will hardly expand at all, which makes it very difficult to put on if there is a significant taper on the blank

I've been so snowed under with repairs that I've hardly done anything with my Project Rods lately, although the Sabiki rod is nearly finished - will post more pics when it's complete.
A few of the repairs are getting rust stains on the guides up here @Ed., more so than down south ??? - good guides, they are Fuji, looks like 304 stainless, so I'm planning to be using Titanium guides on my Custom builds.
I'm also thinking of making a 1 1/2 piece (650 to 700 butt and 1600 to 1650 rod) PE2-6 or 3-8 custom Popping rod to sell locally - be nice to work with a new blank for a change.

I don't particularly like repairing rods, I would prefer to make a new one instead if possible, as I don't do repairs for other people I have the choice, although I can't justify making any more rods. I have more than enough gear and haven't been fishing for ages, still a little while to go before I can. Just got the keys to our new house, so all my time is now being spent moving.  So just keep looking at all the gear I have and wishing to use some but it's not going to happen any time soon.😡

With the price of components and the time to make a rod, I would be surprised if you made any money out of making them to sell.

I suppose that is true but by the time you chase up and collect all the components, then add your margin and the time to make it, would it still be worth it?

If you enjoy doing that sort of thing then fair enough. For me if I wanted a specific good quality type of rod then I just make one regardless of the time, effort and cost, which by the way ends up costing way, way more than a store bought one, and that is without taking into consideration my labour.

Correct, people know they will have to pay more for a Custom than an off the shelf rod. Most don't want to pay a lot more, but understand that they get a better quality build and components.

Nowadays most of the top end stuff is made on blanks made in China, even most of the top brand guide frames are made in the same factories and they just put their own shoch rings in.
Even recognized good, Australian brands like nomad design are made overseas (Malaysia I think), and although most of the top end brands are using Fuji guides, they are using stainless frames, which don't cut it up here. See the pics, all different guides off a couple of different rods.
On my Custom rods, I use guides with titanium frames, cost a bit more, but much better.

Fuji SS 001.JPG

Fuji SS 002.JPG

Fuji SS 003.JPG

Fuji SS 004.JPG

Fuji SS 004.JPG

Fuji SS 005.JPG

I think a top quality custom rod built to customers spec will be lots better quality than any top quality store bought rod.

For example, recently got a tandem trailer built, cost 12 grand.

I could have got a similar /same measurements/do same job off the shelf for 7 grand and from SA.

But  my custom one will do a lifetimes work where as the shop built one will probably do 5years. You need to compare apples with apples.

Just my take on custom built goods.

@Angry51 Yah!
got three quotes out atm, all for PE 8's, happy to do them, but biggest love in my life atm (aside from Margie), is a  Wilson LIVE FIBRE RLF SAS 15, a 8 to 30 kg stick.

They'd been using Chinese sticks of questionable quality, made in ROC ( why do Aussie Firms do this??? YAH gettem cheap, sellem big) , with a high explosion rate!

This bloke, Gavin, super nice guy, chanced on one that managed to tussle a few good 20 to 30 fish and not explode, so worth saving( if they don't explode on the first good fish ... not a dud). So I'm replacing all the cheap SS guides (three already popped the shock rings!) with good Titanium guides, cheap job, he's getting it for not much over cost of parts, maybe $10'ish a guide by the time it's done, and all the rest to MAKE IT, (pics if you want - can't help myself, Bad Habits 😉 ) but like I said he's a nice bloke, and maybe he'll buy a Custom down the track, but that's not why I'm doing it. Plus, the stick will end up what it should have been in the first place!

and the Charlie Rap they do in their builds beggers belief, the more repairs I do, the more it blows me away ............ if you know someone wanting to buy a good stick, don't let them buy an off the rack, build it for them, charge them bugger all for labour ............ the amount of underdone garbage I'm seeing in modern ready mades beggers belief. @Ed.  you're right, don't repair them, naaaah can't help it don't wanna see em lie broken on the floor ... but these modern mid range sticks are manufactured to such a low standard .... @Angry51, get on top of your Chook House and shout at them!
I know they do it for the money, but why can't the make their bucks and supply Fishos with decent sticks?
Sorry, End of my rant, I get so frustrated with the amount of Charlie Rap out there at stupidly big prices, but why can't a bloke go to his local tackle shop, pay a bit too much, but still get a decent stick?
Again, Sorry all, but I had to unload

yeah my 32inch Lee jeans dont fit as well as they used to! must be them not me!

i dont rebuild a lot of rods, only some of the wilson and snyder glas fibreglass jobs that i cant get blanks for. i see a wide range in build quality even in these - but most are between 30 and 50 years old. so i cannot comment on the quality of newer rods.

give me a new blank any day!

my capacity to build is limited (story of my life) so if someone asks me for a bream or flatty stick i send them to their local fishing store and say spend between 100 and 150 and you will get a rod that will work and costs less than my parts (let alone labour!).it might not last as long as one of my builds but they dont have to wait for it or spend ~$300 for a custom build. my niche is bay and offshore rods made with quality blanks and components. these builds arent cheap (even with ss guides not titanium) but i know that their handles wont come unstuck, bindings wont crack and they get to choose their colours and reel seat placement etc for a one of a kind build. most of my clients are happy to pay for the time i spend on the build, quality of components and customisation; to be honest a lot of my time is spent selecting the blank that is best suited to their application.

sylva - how do the titanium guides hold up against a hard fighting foe? i have heard of issues with rings popping out under load as the ti guide is softer than ss and can change shape thereby popping the glue holding in the guide ring.

which Ti guides are you using? For your info, i use Fuji MN style stainless guides with SiC rings for my HD spin rods, underbound and double overbound!

I haven't had any issues with Titanium guides to date @Andrew_P, but have had issues with SS, where they have had some corrosion and have also broke (SS can also get stress fractures, which is why it is not the best choice for anchor chain), causing the rings to pop (see pics). I'm using the SeaGuide Titaniums.
Note : the SS Guides I posted earlier were all Fuji's - zoom in, you shoP1010723.JPG.672756d9bd3c4983f437e81a18ba15fb.JPGuld be able to see the logo.

P1010725.JPG

P1010726.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Sylvathorn said:

I finally finished the Sabiki stick and have pics and the wrap on the 15-24kg Popping stick is also done, will post pics soon.
Next I'm working on a Short Stroker and another two Popping rods - a PE2-5 and a PE8 ( 1 T24 Carbon and the other T30 Carbon .... glutton for punishment I guess

Here are the pics of the Sabiki 

Aaron's Sabiki 01.jpg

Aaron's Sabiki 02.jpg

Aaron's Sabiki 03.jpg

Aaron's Sabiki 04.jpg

Aaron's Sabiki 06.JPG

Aaron's Sabiki 07.JPG

Aaron's Sabiki 08.JPG

Aaron's Sabiki 09.jpg

Aaron's Sabiki 10.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 27/04/2023 at 3:52 PM, Sylvathorn said:

Well, I now have three project rods on the go.
(The Jarvis Walker is now finished aside from restoring the wooden butt.)
The 15 - 24 kg two piece popping stick is progressing.
The Sabiki rod has started.
and now an old Wilson that has a nearly identical curve to my FT67's (Wilson may have made it on the SnyderGlas mandrels they aquired when they bought them out) - this one is for Margie. She decides on all our designs and which colours are used - and as this is hers, she wants metallics!

All will have to fit in between the repairs - I currently have 6 on the trot and another 4 due to come in.
So, I think I will be busy .... none less, I will post pics and updates as we progress.

The 15 - 24 kg two piece popping stick is now complete. I've got it up for sale on Ebay.
So, as we still can't post pics here, I'll post the Ebay URL so you can have a look at it there if you want to see how it turned out. 🙂
Handcrafted custom built Reef Riot fishing rod: 15-24kg Heavy Spin / Popping Rod | eBay 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Sylvathorn said:

I'll be a lil quiet 4 ay bit.
have just about completed the PE8 custom build, but now have a 7'6" PE2-3 ordered, and a 6' Barra PE2-3 baitcaster, and a PE8 GT chaser with buyer chasing quote, (saw my PE8 custom build and got excited) ... will post pic of PE8 CB when I can, did a Maze pattern ... they always fuss me , not hard at all, just have to always be on top of where you are ................. might need @Ed., @Andrew_P, and @Angry51 all up here to help if this keeps up!  Oh, and AUS-BNE-FISHO, ... Hamish, you might need to keep the Barra numbers down in the dam too 😉 , and Angry .... the Chooks will need feeding 😄 
Seriously though, I've got a few repairs for a local Prossie mum (widow), handing on rods to her son in WA that I'm gonna surpass her expectations with, plus 2 customs booked, a spekky to build and 2 more customs being quoted (he saw the PE8 CB and then got excited) .... so I'm gonna be busy phor ay while ... putting tags on everything to keep track of it all .... 
hope I can post pics soon

Sounds like a full time job !! Lucky you enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys, really appreciate it!
And yes, Jeremy is extremely happy, he even shared my Advert on his page to improve my coverage - he's a very nice guy dealing with some tough issues atm. It's his first custom build and I really wanted to make something special for him.
We suggested the pattern to him (and of course Margie worked with me to get that together), and he loved her ideas, (matches the colours on his Harley's tank).
and haha Amazeing indeed - the guy wanting the PE2-3 now want's a maze pattern on his build ... Margie hasn't told me what colour combo I'm doing yet!
Good thing they're not difficult to do 😉