Soft/Portable Roof Racks

dan25

Hey guys

Basically saved up for a yak now, and just realised that we dont have roof racks :ohmy: , i was thinking of getting these soft portable roof racks which seem to look alright but was just wondering if anyone has

used them before,and what they think of them??

Heres a Link

/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Car-soft-MEGA-ROOF-RACKS-for-SURFBOARDS-MINIMALS-sports_W0QQitemZ390024966939QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Sport_Surfing?hash=item390024966939&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Dan

Mate ive got a pair and theres a few pros and cons with them...

Firstly, they are good if the kayak is only small... i used it for my viking ozzie and they were great. very easy to put on and take off and nice and light.

Only bad side is since ive bought my hobbie which is considerably larger, they have scratched my brand new car to the shithouse which is not cool.

Jordan wrote:

Mate ive got a pair and theres a few pros and cons with them...

Firstly, they are good if the kayak is only small... i used it for my viking ozzie and they were great. very easy to put on and take off and nice and light.

Only bad side is since ive bought my hobbie which is considerably larger, they have scratched my brand new car to the shithouse which is not cool.

ok, im just getting a cheap Sit on top Kayak from BCF, so that should be fine?

paul10 wrote:

Dan, I have a set of them that I bought before I realised they would be too small for my 4M+ kayak.

Never used them and you can have them if you want. (that's free mate)

Paul

That would be awesome!,thanks.

Ill just have to check with dad if there alright for our car, and ill PM u ASAP. I also live in Greenbank :lol: , so that would be great :)

Thanks

Supersheap auto has roof racks on special at the moment, I got a set for the pajero and they work really well, they are proper roof racks that sit up off the roof and secure under the guttering of your cars roof, $49.95 bargain.. Not a fan of the soft ones unless its for something like a surfboard thats in a cover, otherwise you tent to get a lot of unwanted scrathches.. thats my two bobs worth

I also bought a set from supercheap and the part you put in the car gutters diddnt fit and the pricks wouldnt give me my 50 bucks back. He said they were piss easy to put on and when i asked him to show me how to do it he was 'flat out' (i was the only person in the shop)

Biggest risk with any roof rack is the loading and unloading. Easy to slip and mark the car!

If your dad has a box trailer that's an easy way to transport your yak as well. I cart mine every where on mine no problems. It is also at the right height for lifting on and off as well! Also stops any salt water left in or on the yak dripping on your car.

I had to resort to soft racks

a) because they dont make hard racks to fit my car

B) I'm swapping between several cars at the mo'

It had me concerned for the first few trips. I keep an eye on the front of the kayak while travelling - hope to notice any big movement. Added in bungy straps from left and right fender to the front tow point, and at the rear tow point down to the tow bar if the car has one.

This seems to stop the yak rotating in the wind, feels much more solid.

I reckon it's good for short trips, home to the water and between Brissie and GC or Noosa. Would not test it to Sydney though.

Dru

I have used them on my hyundai accent for over two years now. I have gone through 4 yaks in that time. A Viking Espri, Perception Swing, Hobie Outback and Hobie Revo. All these yaks range between 19 and 28kgs. I just added an extra strap from the front of the yak to the tow point on the bumper. Never had a drama. Have driven for up to two hours like this and would happily drive further.

I don't care about my car and don't treat it nicely at all but it shows no damage from using the soft roof racks. When I have used them on the wifes car I always place towels under them as added protection.

The only reason I can see it scratches peoples roofs is the clearance is not very much so any addons like rod holders, seats, etc must be romoved before placing on top (I carry my yaks upside down)

One downfall is that if it rains the straps draw moisture into the car and you will get drippage inside.

Archived