Hayes Inlet ...last legal day

wallyfly

Ho yu all

Cobber and I DECIDED TO CRUISE UP Hayes in search of flathead befor the Deathknell at midnight.

Left Clontarf ramp just after noon high tide went around the Wells, under the bridges

and up the creek. Rigged plastics on my new pfleuger 1 to 3 kg and started chucking over the flats up past the drain pipe near the three islands when the Atomic performed for Chris and in came a 41 dusky. Short time later he did it all again but this time a 40.

Wind from the nw stiffened so we dropped the pick...literally..shackle was undone so over the side in about 4 feet of brine and chris found the pick which i reconnected.

We swung about inthe tide and i was fishing a gulp dog dung ang a tentative bite produced a 61dusky . 3 more 35 to 37 ,plus 1 catfish and a very angry largish shovelnose

appeared to have ended our day except for a whiting which was all of 5 inches, took the curl of a bushy thing through his gills not hooked but still caught.

Came back at 1/2 hour to low water via the wells channel,anchored, cast and a 42 barrred tail came in and went. No water left ant the breeze had swung so we worked our way to open water then to Clontarf ramp where i went over the side to hold the boat and found the bottom a foot deeper with mud so i got a wet bum.

What we did find up hayes was there is still plenty of legal water still available outside the green zone for what it is worth. Sorry no pics..maybe nextime

Archived