Double Island trip report

Swagger

This will be a quick report as there wasn't much excitement at all!

Went for a camping trip from wed to fri at Teewah beach, was supposed to be till sat arvo but we left early because we weren't able to cope with the conditions. The weather was great, nice and hot and the water was very warm, made for a great few swims during the day.

On the fishing front, well, what can I say, annoying about sums it up! Dart, dart and more freaking dart, ticked me off to no end. Used prawns and caught dart, used live beachworms and caught dart, used pilchards and still caught dart!!!! No whiting at all, the conditions i thought would've turned them on, same goes for bream and anything else from the surf, non-existant, except dart hahaha. Tried for a quick cast at the rocks at double island point, while waiting for my car to cool down after overheating (thats another story) and suprisingly 2 small bream where caught and nothing else.

I tried fishing every stage of the tide, throughout the day and night, heck I even cast my bait onto the shore incase the whiting were feeding out of the water and still nothing but.....yep you guessed it.....trucking dart!

The reason why we left early was because of one freaking critter called the horsefly. The little barstools were in there millions, im talking so many you couldnt sit still. We killed about a thousand in an hour, not even trying (when you cant do anything you may aswell kill the little annoying turds). I pretty much carried a bat in my hand at all times, swinging to keep them away. Eating food had to be an on the move process and quickly. Aeroguard was absolutely useless, didnt phase them at all. These things were as big as hummingbirds....when your walking along the beach and your surrounded by five shadows and you think, wow must be seagulls then as you look up to your amazement you see horseflies hunting you down. They thankfully disappear at night so that was bearable.

So that was my enjoyable outing.....weather great, fishing poor and hit the richter scale on the annoying insect scale....just fun!

There is no better feeling than getting home and you have no horseflies following you around, pure, peaceful and utter paradise!!!

mate just a few hints and tips, Ok well i go there approx 30 times a year and the march flys are pretty bad if camping i always take enough shade cloth to wrap the shade setup you have for at least some protection. On the fishing front hmmm, Dart is all you will get during the day, You should manage bream and tawhine at night only on a large 8pm-12 high and never any other time and im talking massive ones, you will get flattie on the runout tide only at the mouth of the noosa drift a pilly down and walk down with it use approx 3-5 swivels.. also you definetly will get whiting either at rainbow beach on a run in or try flicking worms only in a dead low gutter with about 1ft of water in it, It can be a tough place to fish and camp but if you know where and when well a nice feed is always possible:)

Thanks for the tips Confused:cheer:

The last two times i've caught many bream, whiting and flathead during the day so I thought this time it would be the same, I think I missed the memo :laugh: . Haven't been to rainbow beach as yet but will have to give it a try sometime to see what it is like on that side!

Archived