anyone keen for a yak with a beginner? :P

nadders

I've had the yak for a while now (just a regular paddle yak with rod holders attached) but haven't really broken it in fishing wise. I'm still inexperienced and only really been for 3 good paddles, but i'm determined to put it to good use.

so is anyone interested in letting a yak newbie tag along somewhere (and not somewhere like the mouth of the river which i'm not ready for by a long shot haha)

i'd love to have a flick somewhere for bream etc, not really keen on bait from the yak would rather stick to lures

so if anyone wants to go for a paddle some time and don't mind taking it at a beginners pace let me know, would much appreciate it :D

i'm going to hopefully have a paddle up brekky creek tomorrow to get some experience, but i think i will start trying out the canals etc and some of the creeks up the sunny coast, where i can bring the baitcaster along, target the jacks and actually feel like i'm not fooling myself that the'yre around :P

why aren't you ready for the mouth of the river?

On a good day, there isn't much difference (if any) between the river, the bay and offshore. Except in a river, worst case scenario you swim maybe 200m to a bank.

Offshore, a multiple kilometre swim is a lot further :laugh:

I think it's only on an extremely aweful day that you need to be concerned about being 'ready'. At the end of the day, if you can handle paddling (or pedalling) constantly for say, 5-10+ km and a few hours, get back into your kayak if you fall in, then the only other thing you need is experience IMO.

Where are you based Nadders? I usually go out for a few hours to keep up paddle fitness most weekends, hard to get leave passes for longer trips, but it is doable!

This saturday is comp weekend at Kilcoy, but perhaps another weekend you would like a yak in the top end of Somerset? Fish are a bit quite up there of late, but a great place for a yak. I usually go with Clawhammer and Fergo when we take the yaks, you would more than welcome to tag along.

terry, wash from tangalooma cat and tugboats etc almost sends us overboard in a 3.75m tinny lol. plus i dunno i usually livebait the mouth, i feel like i'd have more fun going up back ends of creeks and stuff casting lures in the yak.

i'm based close to the city feral, but driving around is not an issue. i'd love to go out to somerset, haven't done any freshwater fishing yet but i'm keen as, and have a good collection of hb's :D

mangler wrote:

On another note, I'd much prefer to be on my small 2.7m kayak, than in a 3.75m tinny, when faced with the wash from a large boat.

I'd much rather be on my kayak than most fishing boats when faced with almost any form of swell/wave/chop.

nadders, depending on what kayak you have, all I can say is take your kayak out for a day or two for just paddling. Take no fishing gear with you and go have fun in the surf or other chop.

Worst case scenario you roll it, and you have to get back in or you have to swim your yak back to the beach (if it hasn't already washed in), You might lose some pride if theres a lot of people around, but you dont lose any expensive fishing gear. Plus you get some good experience and know what you can (and can't) handle.

Edit: a TIP: If you're about to hit any sort of wave in a kayak, hit it head on.

nadders

I'm hardly experienced, only got my yak at X-mas, but for what it's worth your welcome to paddle with me. My weekend plans are

Sat: 5:00 am start from Port of Bris ramp - not heading into the mouth but on the southern side mangroves and sand/mud bar. Drifting while flicking SPs.

Sun: 5:00am Start from Wellington Point ramp. paddle/troll around Green Island, break at green island to bottom bash hopefully for snapper/squire. I only troll depending on weather/wind conditions.

I met the Moreton Car ferry wash in the river mouth last Sunday night. Yes it was a wet experience, but never felt like turning over. Never hurts to be comfortable getting back in from deep water but i wouldnt think it's a skill you are likely to need from the ferry wash. Common sense always required but not a high risk item. definitely prefer to be in my yak than in a tinny inthose conditions!

Dru

hey guys just wanting to know why you would feel more comfortable in a yak than a small tinnie as i go out in the bay and the mouth in a 3.75m fishing tinnie and i feel fully comfortable so just wondering why it would be easier in a yak that is most likely smaller than 3.75m

cheers

nathan

You are right Feral - its late to change my mind but I'll now be looking for cover.

Why more comfortable in a yak than a tinny? First this is related to the ferry wash, not just normal boating. Last time i was in it the wash was (at the max) easily over 2 foot tall and breaking. Those ferries sure throw it out. if a tinny gets it's nose under that, it's going to test character. Most fishing yaks are SOT - think of it like a surf ski. The wave goes over, so what. Your wet, anything not tied down is sinking, but you are not.

Dru

you know i've thought about that area dru. whats the current like out that side? I also thought about the little pocket of mangroves on the other side of the port of brisbane, seen plenty of surface activity in there.

i guess you are mainly targetting bream and flatties along there?

I'll probably be taking my yak out for a slow paddle early sunday morning at Bob Bell Park, in the South Pine River, behind the Westfield shopping centre at Strathpine. (Slow because I have been crook for over a week, and dont want to push myself to much). Probably go upstream until the tide changes then head back.

Its a 6 knot zone, and you rarely see boats anyway. I'll bung up a post in the going fishing topic.

Archived