Mono to braid

Angus

yeh i normally connect mono about 4-6lbs heavier then the braid im using on the bottom of the spool as a filler... this is so, if i get spooled down to the last 20m of mono then i can tighten the drag a bit more without the knot or line snapping...

i normally fill it as much as i need to fill the spool with the braid on top... (i.e. if the spool holds 150yds of 6lb braid and i only have 125 yds of 6lb braid, i put about 10-15yds of 10lb mono underneath then connect it to the braid using a surgeons knot and spool the 6lb braid on top with wot ever leader needed on top of the braid)

using a surgeons knot connecting the filler mono underneath to the main braid line is difficult as u have to pass the whole 6lb spool through the surgeon knot loop... but its worth it as this knot is much tougher...

reply if you dont understand what im talking about...

troy

oh yeh and what outfit are you getting for your sp gear... if you havent made up ur mind id say get... either an $90 berkley dropshot rod or... a $130 shimano raider rod... with a shimano symetre reel or shimano sahara... along with 6lb fireline as main with some berkley vanish as a leader... all up nomore then $300

troy

• 4 weeks later...

I use mono backing on most my smaller egg beaters. That is because the fire line comes in 125yd spools and the reels can take about 200 of 4/6lb.

I know you can get bigger spools of fire line but as I like to keep my spools full there is no point in wasteing the last 100 yds of braid. So I just continuely top up the braid.

The bigger treadline and overhead I still use mono unless I am jigging deep. Then braid is an apsolute must.

I don't like trolling with braid so I use mono here.

• 2 months later...

Red that looks like an awesome knot mate. At least it looks easy to tie!

Angus. I've got a mono-backing under all my spools with fireline. The lightest I use is 6 pound, and the entire spool goes on and barely uses up any space on a tiny reel! The idea to wind on the braid first, join it to mono, fill the spool, swap to a dummy reel and back to the original is a damn good idea. (if long) On my first attempt at the backing I used too much and ended up wasting some of my fireline:sick:

Werewolf i only used a line to line uni before i came up with that knot. I don't use knots that end up with a single tag end going through a single loop to hold everything together. I like to trim the tag ends off very close so the line goes through rod rollers or eyes smoothly when using a heavy drag. When you use a heavy drag the line stretches and sometimes the close trimmed tag end comes out .... you loose everything. With a uni knot and multiple wraps ... no problem. I've had this to happen a few times over the years. (Just an opinion)

Archived