last sunday somerset bash

wesfish

i headed up to somerset early last sunday morning to try and get the brother inlaw his first bass.... well the morning started off awesome a landed a nice 50 cm yella in the first 3 mins of trolling on one of my home made lures, we trolled for a lil longer for a couple of hits , then i seen the sounder light up with a big school... so we went up wind and drifted back over them hoppin mask vibs and 1/2 switch blades, on the first drift i nailed a nice chunky bass on the mask vib in purple and white,,, we then done a few more drifts and i got another lil bass.. the wind started howling and making the drift to quick as i didnt have an elec or sea anchor. so we headed to queen street to get out of the wind and continued trolling around the trees that are left there... i got one more lil rat bass and then i got sick in the guts so we called it quits at 9:30 am and started bashing back to the spit.... all in all was a good morning session except mark didnt raise a single fish :( but there is all ways next time and we will put the hours in to get him his first...... [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/yella-e44f094f4715d2a3bde4786fb7bad151.jpg

yeah they were out in 7-8mtrs of water and once you drifted over them the sounder would have great shows from about 2 mtrs off the bottom to about 6 mtrs... i just wish i had an electric to help hold over them, but if the wind was about 5-10 knots it would have been great drifting over them, i also found the school from the bass feeding on the surface and showing them selves so it made it a lil easier to keep motoring up wind and drift back over them ,i tried surface lures for a few drifts with no success...

jimmybob wrote:

i reckon that would feel pretty damn good to catch a fish like that on a lure ya made yourself..well done mate B)
yeah and it was a voodoo copy :laugh: but with a new colour scheme of solid black , red throat and tail and white gills and small white stripes on the tail, will take a pic and post it at later date ..it dives to 7 mtrs on the dot too..

Archived