Kayak Paddle, Pedal, Electric?

EMP

I absolutely know nothing about kayaks but contemplating on moving forward from landbased fishing.

I've just read about a kayak that can be pedalled, are these things exxy? I've only found the Hobie which is like a couple of K's worth.

And also, are there electric ones with propellers of some sort? I couldn't find any from Googling.

EMP

The Kayak Ignorant

Emp - yes the Hobbies are expensive, they are the top end of the yak market. They have peddle models, and if I could afford one I'd have one! With any sort of accessories probably closer to $3k than 2.

The paddle type yaks quite a few of them are set up to take electric motors, you just need to be telling the salesmen what it is your looking for!

Ray got a tempo he has put a standard electric on fairly easily, but your looking at around 5-600 minimum for an std electric and a battery, then the modifications start after that.

Good quality yaks do cost thousands, but you can get cheapies starting from around $300. BCF have the prowlers on special at the moment for $1500, Angus is a seller of Viking yaks, they used to be a bit cheaper (low thousand area) but that was before the dollar crashed etc. They have not put the shop back online yet, but PM Angus for prices and info.

Be a good idea to see if you can get a run in a loaner yak on a trip or two to see how you go and what suites you.

You can get good yaks second hand looking on the forums or Ebay (believe it or not ebay is cheaper that the forums, a lot of the forum blokes pimp the yaks to the max, then expect to recoup the costs associated with that - which is ok if you want all the stuff they have added, but generally most people like to do their own additions.

Feral wrote:

Emp - yes the Hobbies are expensive, they are the top end of the yak market. They have peddle models, and if I could afford one I'd have one!

The paddle type yaks quite a few of them are set up to take electric motors, you just need to be telling the salesmen what it is your looking for!

Ray got a tempo he has put a standard electric on fairly easily, but your looking at around 5-600 minimum for an std electric and a battery, then the modifications start after that.

Good quality yaks do cost thousands, but you can get cheapies starting from around $300. BCF have the prowlers on special at the moment for $1500, Angus is a seller of Viking yaks, but they have not put the shop back online yet, but PM him for rough prices.

Be a good idea to see if you can get a run in a loaner yak on a trip or two to see how you go and what suites you.

Thanks Feral. :)

I will try to hire a kayak one of these days. Hopefully I would be ON the yak and not the other way around. LOL.

Gread advice, Feral.

EMP

Emp it was quite easy to fit the leccy to my yak just had to think a bit how to do it. The leccy justs clamps to where the rudder is attached.

I could have brought a minnkota specially modified to suit but chose to modify a 28lb minnkota that I already had.

An 18 lb watersnake would be quite adequate so you should be able to get motor and battery for under $300.

Pm sent also.

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

Emp it was quite easy to fit the leccy to my yak just had to think a bit how to do it. The leccy justs clamps to where the rudder is attached.

I could have brought a minnkota specially modified to suit but chose to modify a 28lb minnkota that I already had.

An 18 lb watersnake would be quite adequate so you should be able to get motor and battery for under $300.

Pm sent also.

Cheers

Ray

The jargon should have scared me but instead got me a bit excited. LOL.

Thanks so much, Ray. :)

EMP

I have not used a Hobbie, but I reckon the "ducks nuts" would be being able to have it nose in to current while casting at structure, and being able to keep in the same spot! Thats the only real annoyance I have using a paddle (apart from the hobbies higher speed and extra range coz its easier than paddling)

pcsolutionman wrote:

Mate IMO, for a serious fisherman Peddle power is the only way to go, theres no way id go back to paddle power again.

EMP remember that Lee is a seriously hardcore :woohoo: fisherman that racks up some big km fishing offshore in his yak. If you are going to be more casual, a paddle setup is a lot cheaper and is still good fun.

I own a little paddle powered Viking. I would love a peddle powered Hobie but at the moment I can't justify the cost for my infrequent adventures. :blush: I can dream though right? (actually at some stage I might try and convince Loz how much fun she would have peddling around with me in a twin seater hobie but that has yet to be seen ;)).

Whatever you end up setting your heart on, make sure you try before you buy. I would imagine dealers would be able to offer "test drives" on the water if you are going to part with a few grand! If you can hold off to the next kayak event, you could probably rock up at the end and test drive quite a few different models if you ask nicely B)

Feral wrote:

I have not used a Hobbie, but I reckon the "ducks nuts" would be being able to have it nose in to current while casting at structure, and being able to keep in the same spot! Thats the only real annoyance I have using a paddle (apart from the hobbies higher speed and extra range coz its easier than paddling)

Very true Feral, but even in a still water situation like Borumba, being able to slowly move along a bank while all the time casting is great, I reckon id get 2 casts for every 1 a paddler would get, and if u add wind and current it would be even more. more casts meens more fish in my book

Lee

I agree with Lee.

Nothing beats the hobie IMO. There's nothign like being able to hold your position, or continue slowly navigating your way around all while still being able to cast!

Or how about casting when the wind is blowing you around? Nothing like being able to cast while your mate in the paddle kayak is having one cast while doing donuts on the water, before having to put the rod down, spin back around and paddle hard up again to get in another cast.. (Ok this was the case taht really sold the Hobie to me! haha)

Honestly, in a constant troll there's not too much difference. Except for the fact I'll sit there eating some shapes or having a drink while you paddle away. Or when it's a gale force wind straight in your face, and you're struggling to paddle along, and I'll sit there comfortable eating my shapes and having that drink, all while asking you "how are you going mate?" :)

Even when we were drifting offshore the pedals helped. We were able ot hold a rod, have another in the rod holder and slowly pedal to keep our drift line straight and nice and slow.

You get what you pay for IMO

I love my paddle power Perception Swing, but I'm not gonna lie, if we could've afforded Hobbies, it would have been much better for fishing

If you're buying the kayak for fishing only (ie that's the only reason you want it), a Hobie is worth it, but if you're just sort trying out kayaking with fishing involved, it's up to your budget ;)

There was a rumour going around a little while ago hobbie were working on a mirage drive that could switch to reverse (without turning the whole drive around) but never heard anymore about it.

If you want to back, hands or paddle, Hobbies have a mount the paddle is stored in on the side. Although I did read a story about a bloke who fished for Jacks, he would turn the drive around when casting so that if he got a hit he could immediately back out of the snag whilst playing the fish.

TerryH wrote:

I agree with Lee.

Nothing beats the hobie IMO. There's nothign like being able to hold your position, or continue slowly navigating your way around all while still being able to cast!

Or how about casting when the wind is blowing you around? Nothing like being able to cast while your mate in the paddle kayak is having one cast while doing donuts on the water, before having to put the rod down, spin back around and paddle hard up again to get in another cast.. (Ok this was the case taht really sold the Hobie to me! haha)

Honestly, in a constant troll there's not too much difference. Except for the fact I'll sit there eating some shapes or having a drink while you paddle away. Or when it's a gale force wind straight in your face, and you're struggling to paddle along, and I'll sit there comfortable eating my shapes and having that drink, all while asking you "how are you going mate?" :)

Even when we were drifting offshore the pedals helped. We were able ot hold a rod, have another in the rod holder and slowly pedal to keep our drift line straight and nice and slow.

You get what you pay for IMO

I have to agree with Lee and Terry on this one, even the shapes :woohoo:

Al [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P3010037.JPG

post-2756-144598473696_thumb.jpg

Archived