how do i catch sandworms?

apoklyps60

Not hard enough to worry about.. Get a 1.5m length of rope and bend a wire coat hanger into a hook and place some fish carcases on it.. Walk the shoreline of the beach on a low tide and wave the fish around in the wash and as the scent drifts out with the wave you will see little V's of water forming.. This is the worms heads poking up out of the sand to see whats on offer.. Gently walk over and crouch down and offer a small piece of fish flesh an inch above his head so he hasto stretch up for it... As he comes right up he will arch his head - this is when you dig the fingers from your other hand into the sand and pull him out... Takes afew goes to get the hang of but fresh beach worms are most likely among the best bait around... There is a video of how to do it under the fishing section of www.coastwatch.com.au

Cheers

I get my beach worms from tugun. I use stockings filled with pillies as my weapon of choice. When you get down to him, slowly move your fingers into position around his head while hes inspecting your bait so you're only millimetres off for when he arch's. then grab him and try and pull him out in one clean pull. This is my style anyway..works for me. They sometimes give your hand a nibble but it doesn't hurt. Goodluck.

OK i recently mastered the art of worm catching only a few weeks ago at rainbow beach.

Dragging fish carcass around.

When you see their heads, give'em some fish flesh to chew on.

TIMING IS EVERYTHING!!!

I would usually try and grab them after they'd already done one arch-up cause i was too slow, but they dont usually come back after two arch's.

Once you grab'em dont let off...those things are strong. I had one out 30cm and he managed to pull back in! Also, if you're pulling them out and you feel resistances (and you'll know when you do), stop pulling and just hold them there, otherwise you'll snap bits off and lose the rest of the worm.

Also, get used to the idea of having sore leg muscles in the days following...it'll feel like you've been wicket keeping all day, squatting over and over again to catch the little suckers!!! :P

I read somewhere if you are going to freeze them, soak them in metho or turps or something to make them rubbery???

Hope that helps

Nat

all year around just got to get the timing of the tide right for the best chance at them

there 3 different species oin gold coast beaches

there is the little hightide worms that arent much good too thin

then there are slimys these are pink and get to 2m long best time for these is quarter tide down

then from half tide down you start to get the best ones ,the stumpys these guys have a bronzy colour get to 1.2m and can be as thick as your little finger

when you get hold of a big one hang on dont try to pull him out wait for the next wave and dig around him as the water rushes by and he will release his grip on the sand once you dig 15 cm of sand from around him

worms are easier to get out if you pull them sideways paralell to the beach rather than straight up

• 6 months later...

Blood worms can be raked up.

Beach/Sand Worms are the artful ones. To be honest Its not really worth describing in words as it really requireds a demo and a lot of patience. They are deffinently my go to bait at Straddy. Not much lives in the surf that wont eact Beach Worms!

Angus

• 2 months later...

Archived