50hp merc 4 stroke obscure fault.

rayke1938

Since coming back from hols my 50hp merc has had an intermittent fault where the warning horn would sound for a 1 second beep at anything over half revs.

Spoke to Mick at Coorparoo marine and he said never heard of that one.

Dropped in there this morning and Mick and Darren put the motor in the test tank and hooked it to computer and couldnt fault it.So they showed me how to dicconnect the temperature sensor wire and oil pressure sender as these are the only 2 things alarmed on the motor. They also provided a spare wiring harness complete with key and horn in case the fault was in the remote cabling or the control unit.

and suggested that I take it for a test run in the river.

Took the boat to Colmslie for a test run and sure enough the horn started beeping and after isolating both the temperature and oil sensors and plugging in the spare wireing harness the B thing was still beeping.

Back to Coorparoo Marine. The diagnostic computer only showed where I had disconnected the sensors so Darren came along with me to Colmslie for another test run this time with the computer hooked up to motor.

The fault was caused by a faulty voltage regulator that was intermittently spiking at 18 volts.

New regulator is on order. ( $250 ouch )

Got to like service at Coorparoo Marine they go out of their way to help and save money they could have just said leave it here and we will have a look at it

Hope it fixes problem.

Cheers

Ray

ray i was down there today checking out how new boat was going with all the mods and i seen your boat they are a good bunch of blokes booty it is worth the travel they will look after you dowm there and they wont take you for a ride like other places they tell it like it is

ps ray check out my new boat if you are down there before thursday it is the blue hellcat

ps ray check out my new boat if you are down there before thursday it is the blue hellcat

Dan I had a good look today. Totally awesome. Dont suppose you would like to swap?

Just think you wouldnt ever have to worry about scratching it or getting it dirty.

If not i will have to steal a gun and hold up a bank so I can get one like it.

The boys are showing it off to everyone who walks into the yard.

Cheers

Ray

Archived