Help

Troutman

I am from Charleston, South Carolina, USA and I am going to be doing a semester at the University of Queensland from Feb-June. I was wondering what there is to fish for inshore around Brisbane and what type of tackle and rods should I bring with me. I also have a 6 and 8 weight fly rod and was wondering which one would be better to bring and what type of flies I should bring with me to try and cut down on what all I have to pack, and thank you in advance for all of your help.

Hi Troutman,

No real fly fishing experts on the site, but there are plenty of fly fisherman in the region. The university you are talking about is on a loop of the Brisbane river.

We also have bay fishing reasonably accessible from Brisbane (cheap public transport), or if you going to have access to transport, surf and stocked dam fishing within easy travel.

The brisbane river tends to be fairly turbid water with strong tidal flow, the bay, accessed from the main land is similar. If you get out onto the bay it is clear water, as are the dams. You wont fly fish our surf, unless you can get a relatively calm day and fish of the rocky headlands, but those sort of days are extremely rare.

The dams have good surface feeding fish like saratoga and bass which are reputed to be good for fly fishing, particularly Hinze Dam, about 45 minutes south of Brisbane.

The wind pattern here is that the breeze tends to get up around mid morning, so I would assume fly fishing would be best early morning.

Look us up on the site when you get here, I am sure we can arrange a few fishing trips for you!

Mate as Feral said.

When yourover we can sort a few trips out.

If the location does not suit Fly, im sure we can lend you some gear.

Although some of the freshwater will be awesome for fly. And some of the saltwater locations around Bribie could be good as well i reckon.

Meet you soon!

Angus

I am no expert but one of my local dams - Hinze Dam - is suppose to be good for fly fishing.

When you came out you can get a ride in the cannon ball (fresh water boat). If I'm too busy then someone else on the site can borrow the ball and take you out.

If you want that is.

Archived