Alternatives to ply for boat flooring?

dhess

Looking at replacing my carpeted ply boat floor. Its more warped than my personality, has multi coloured fungi growing in a few different places and am begining to worry about crashing through it one day in the not too distant future as it is getting very spongey.

I understand its demise probably resulted from it being structural ply that wasn't correctly sealed. I haven't exactly helped things by having the boat parked where it is. i.e. Because of the angle of the ground where the boat is parked it fills up with quite a bit of water.

Its basically a choice between checker plate alluminium, polyethylene sheeting (seaboard) and pvc sheeting (celluka).

Celluka is a touch more expensive than marine ply.

Pros: Any solvent based glue sticks to it really well.

Only slightly more than ply

Easy to work with

Cons: can't be left exposed as degrades in UV light

Seaboard is about 30% more expensive again.

Pro: Virtually indestructible

Easy to work with

Has a slight texture. Don't know if it enough to prevent slipping. Could potentially route grooves in it but that would be a pain.

Cons: Exxy

If you need to carpet it you have to use mechanical fasteners as glue doesn't stick to it well.

Checker plate alloy. I am thinking 3mm would be thick enough as bearers are onlyapprox. 300-400mm apart in each direction.

A friends barcrusher has an aluminium floor and all round its pretty good apart from getting a bit hot at times and being a bit slippery when you get fish slime and blood on it.

Not sure on the price but probably about the same as ply as the arse end has fallen out of the price of aluminium. Its about half of what it was last year.

Pros: Cheap when you factor in that you don't have to carpet it.

Very durable

Easy to clean

Cons: Not so easy to work with

Gets hot but only at midday and easy to cool with a bucket of seawater.

Can be slipery when you get blood and slime on it

Would love to hear any suggestions and experiences people have had with any of the above materials.

There's a place in ipswich that sells 2nd's marine ply pretty cheap :P

If you head toward BCF in ipswich just after you cross the river turn right at the roundabout follow that street to the end then turn left the seconds shop is on the right

might be worth a look ;)

Gaz

Gazza wrote:

There's a place in ipswich that sells 2nd's marine ply pretty cheap :P

If you head toward BCF in ipswich just after you cross the river turn right at the roundabout follow that street to the end then turn left the seconds shop is on the right

might be worth a look ;)

Gaz

yeah the company is called boral ply wood and there is almost nothing wrong with the seconds. I bought a sheet of ply with a hard tar coating on it a bit hit and miss on the edges. theres some pretty cheap stuff there.

mate theres this product that the signwriters use that i use to install it comes in a range of sizes and thiknesses its a poly sheeting weather proof light and strong its out there but cant remember the name of it im trying to source some for my deck if i get on il post u some details......

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to steer clear of ply because I want something that is virtually maintenace free. I guess If I can get ply for dirt cheap it might be worth reconsidering.

maccatuna wrote:

mate theres this product that the signwriters use that i use to install it comes in a range of sizes and thiknesses its a poly sheeting weather proof light and strong its out there but cant remember the name of it im trying to source some for my deck if i get on il post u some details......

What I think you are referring to is celluka or a version of it. Foam core surrounded by PVC walls.

At this stage if I can get checker plate at the right price I will be leaning in that direction.

Jeff,

Any suggestions on a heat reflective deck paint? I am assuming I would have to hit it with etch primer first.

dhess wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to steer clear of ply because I want something that is virtually maintenace free. I guess If I can get ply for dirt cheap it might be worth reconsidering.

maccatuna wrote:

What I think you are referring to is celluka or a version of it. Foam core surrounded by PVC walls.

At this stage if I can get checker plate at the right price I will be leaning in that direction.

Jeff,

Any suggestions on a heat reflective deck paint? I am assuming I would have to hit it with etch primer first.

yes mate though i think some of the good ones are self etching

Archived