Shimano Baitrunne XTEA10000/Okuma Endurance EDB80

chaujern

Hi All

I am considering buying the Shimano xtea 10000 off ebay. Used only once so I guess since Shimano's are really good it shouldn't be a problem. The thing is, its actually for Carp fishing.

So the question is, since I fish estuaries, sometimes off piers and intend to use the reel to cast far for beach fishing too, should I get a proper Shimano baitrunner like BBT 6500 approved for saltwater or will it be fine if I take care of it?

There aren't any specs with regards to max drag of Shimano xtea 10000. Shimano Baitrunner 6500, 7 kgs. Funny thing though, Sienna 2500 has max drag of 7kgs too. Comments please?

Or should I get an Okuma Endurance EDB80, approx $90?

If both were equal in price / if the Shimano xtea 10000 ends up cheaper than $90, which one would you guys chose.

Thanks for the comments.

Strewth, isnt a reel that size a bit of overkill for carp! I would have thought a 3 or 4000 would easily be big enough.Thats serious enough for good sized sharks!

Baitrunners are great if your using livies, otherwise they dont really add much to the equation.

aww i dunno feral they are great for any picky fish live or dead bait

what kind of fish are you chasing chaujern, i have a 6500 baitrunner and i consider it hugely overkill for most estuary work, i find it overkill for most of the sharks ive encountered on it also (which is what i bought it for)

i use a 3500 baitrunner and a 400 seize shimano baitcaster for baiting the river, 15lb on the baitrunner and 30lb on the baitcaster and both those reels have handled everything thrown at them fine. both have also handled sharks fine i really would not recommend going bigger unless you are specifically chasing big sharks or big jew etc

Not sure about the XTEA10000 but remember reading somewhere that the Shimano aero GT baitrunners (look almost identical) have pretty weak drags and aren't that great a reel overall. Not to mention fishing for carp with a 10000 sized reel is an ergonomic disaster.

I would go the 3500 baitrunner, or one of the smaller okuma offerings if you feel comfirtable with okuma.

and with regards to use in the salt the 3500b baitrunner which is what i have is very, very good as far as durability goes, i have put mine through some rough and inhumane treatment even had the ratchet break from locking the drag down too hard on a big bitey and the drag is still very smooth, gearing is smooth really no complaints at all.

i'm just sad they are discontinuing the current range of baitrunners incase mine ever goes overboard or something lol

with reguards to drag pressures, i have some 6500 baitrunners, have cranked up the drag on them and find it hard to believe that the 2500 seinna or whatever has the same?

on a lighter note; i bought some penn 950 spinning reels, the us made 1's, a while back now. used 1 once and destroyed it jigging, anyway, when taken back for warranty replacement, i was asked what lb line was on it, i replied 80lb, which i told the fella i was going to use when i bought the reels, and nothing was said. so at this point he asked me to hang onto the spool as warranty would not cover me for using such line, so why wasn't i told this when buying, don't know! penn will only warrant reels with problems with line classes stipulated on the spool. in the lil writing.

rob

nadders! they stopped making the tss4 about 3 years ago, so rob goes and buy's a few for down the road, and guess what, i can still buy them today even after people told me we bought the last of them, musta bought thousands of em then, as everybody still has them. don't worry mate. i got some :P

go the 3500 baitrunner, i have caught every thing huge on it and its still as smooth as the day it was given to me by charltons :laugh: i have it spooled with 20lb braid and it handles it great, i have the 6500b on a live fibre 15-24kg 8ft spooled with 50lb braid and i have used it in 90mtrs of water and nailed some good kingfish and it handled well!!!! my mate has the endurance and he likes it and it seems to serve him well , he has got some good bull sharks on it....

I fish mainly estuaries and am land based.

Thought I'd go for the bigger capacity to compensate for thicker line cos' I'm a cheapo and fish mono :P

Wondering if 30lbs mono would be good enough for most fish. Am hoping to get a jewie off the spit rock walls after speaking to an older gentleman. He was using 80lbs braid and 80 lbs leader.

With the 6500, I'd probably only get around 200m of 30lbs mono. So was wondering, if I float a baloon off say 100m, would I be able to pull in something decent with 100m left to spool? (if i'm ever lucky enough say a 10kg jewfish ... at the rate I'm going, largest live bait taken is approximately 4in ...:lol: )

Am leaning towards the Okuma budget wise, with constraints I'd go Shimano anyday :unsure:

Archived