NPD Yak explore!

Feral

Ok, I picked up the North Pine Dam stickers for my yak yesterday, felt the need to get the Yak out on the dam as soon as possible.So time for an evil plan!

As the missus was working last night I teed up a mate for an early morning yak, sat the kids in front of foxtel and told em they could stay up as late as they liked. Then went to bed myself.

This morning as the missus came in the door at 6:30am , I headed out and headed to the dam. Met Cameron at the ramp, and we went upstream for an explore. Primary target was an old road bridge we reckoned should under water, a potential cod spot!

It was a bit of a slog in to a south westerly for the 1.5k to the bridge. We found it was indeed under water, with the verticals for the hand rails only just sticking up near the edges. Flogged the area with cod lures for a while for no luck. Never mind, got it sussed for a serious trip, possibly with some bait next time!

When we rejoined the main channel of the dam the wind had dropped away to nothing, so trolled up stream a bit further until it was time to go home. Got home about 11am, to find kids scratching their bums after just having got out of bed, and missus still asleep! Another evil plan pays off!

We didn't catch any fish today, but it was a great paddle, with the area sussed for next time!

P5170001.jpg

P5170002.jpg

P5170003.jpg

P5170005.jpg

P5170006small.jpg

npd17509.jpg

Ar mr wise old man, very clever on both accounts.

I think that map shows a right turn and not a left turn. If so Dino tried that the other day, then headed towards the wall. I am guessing that the right turn will fire up with toga in the warmer months but time will tell.

I like the overland bit be nice if google updated their maps to show current water levels.

About 10 years ago my old next door neighbour used to walk in there with a wheelbarrow and get heaps of redclaw, yellas and tilapia all off the bridge.

There used to be a dirt track that you could drive most of the way.

Cheers

Ray

Hey Feral, Good to see you guys out there again. that whole area between the left and right turn will be a good spot when the weather warms up again. All the submerged grass will have decayed and hopefully some togas will setup shop.

I only got the one for the morning. About 20m from the ramp :woohoo: I did have some redclaw traps out there but got nothing in them. Maybe not there for long enough.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff, my theory is that the water where the submerged grass is at the moment is low in oxygen because of the rotting vegetation. The redclaw we got was from just outside the grass, all the fish we saw on the sounder were in the clear water, as soon as we hit grass, nothing on the sounder.

Archived